Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recurring cellulitis low down on one leg which has also

Customer Question

I have recurring cellulitis low down on one leg which has also a Baker's Cyst that unusually did not originate behind the knee: there is much itching to contend with. My GP has prescribed Fucibet (14 days max) and Dermol 500 lotion, each applied twice daily 2 hours apart. If that treatment is only partially effective, he suggests I might continue with Manuka honey and Coconoil, applied similarly. I believe it is important to buy Manuka Honey UMF 20+, that should have the desired levels of antibacterial, antiviral or antiseptic benefits. With the market flooded with incorrectly marked labels, is it safest to opt for honey martketed by Comvita that carries a reassurance on the UMF factor? In addition to an answer to that question, I would appreciate your comments on the foregoing.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you attach a picture of the cellulitis?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. If there is significant cellulitis, I would prefer to use oral antibiotics, rather than topical antibiotics or other topical interventions. If there is a lesser infection, then using the topical medicines would be reasonable, including the Manuka Honey. And yes, it is reasonable to buy it from a reliable supplier, such as Comvita.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. Love,My GP had prescribed Flucloxacillin which I took for 9 days, only stopping early because I had developed Diarrhoea that took 3 days to clear.
No need for any further advice on my leg problem but thanks for offering.
You are welcome.