Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I would appreciate some thoughts on my blood test results in

I would appreciate some thoughts on my blood test results in regards ***** ***** deficiency.
I am currently being investigated for Crohn's disease ( which runs in my family). So far other tests have shown a high Calprotectin level ( 196) and a biopsy from the colon has shown an area of granuloma which may be associated with crypt rupture ( stated on report). I am awaiting results of a pill cam investigation ( the Crohns in my family affects the small intestine).
I have many symptoms however my question relates to my iron deficiency symptoms. I am struggling with extreme fatigue, being light headed, lights flashing in front of my eyes, foggy / clouded thinking, heart racing etc I can feel very weak and it is difficult to manage work/ study/ family etc
My blood results are as follows:
Iron ( 9.0-30.0 umol/L) mine is 2.4 (low)
Transferrin (2.5-3.8 g/L) mine is 2.53
Iron Saturation ( 15.0 -45.0) mine is 4 (low)
RBC (3.8-5.8 x10^12/L) mine is 6.16 ( high)
MCV (84.0-105.0 fL) mine is 67.7 (low)
MCH ( 27.0-32.0) mine is 20.9 (low)
RDW ( 11.5 - 14.5) mine is 15.7 ( high)
Following are within normal ranges:
Haemoglobin ( 115-165 g/L) mine is 129
HCT (0.37-0.47 L/L) mine is 0.42
MCHC ( 305-350 g/L) mine is 308
Firstly would I be classed as iron deficient or as having iron deficiency anaemia? ( I realise that my haemoglobin level is within normal range however I am unsure how much emphasis is put on the other results in determining this)
Secondly, my GP has advised that I take iron tablets but I find these difficult to tolerate particularly as I have abdominal pain, diarrhoea, and waves of nausea daily anyway. Is there a better alternative that would help with symptoms more quickly as I know that iron tablets would take a good few months to help even if I can manage to take them.
In regards ***** ***** ie. Iron infusion - are my iron levels low enough to consider this or would they be considered not particularly low by the medical profession and therefore best managed with oral iron?
Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidhttps://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/tibc/tab/test/is a good site. scroll down to the table.your transferrin levels are low, that and the rest of your tests suggest anemia of chronic illnessyou should get your ferritin levels checked as well.crohn's disease could be the chronic illness that is causing your anemia.racing heart and bring fog can also be from anemia symptoms. they can also be due to excessive anxiety sometimes.have you tried to take iron after a meal with a full stomach?foods rich in iron include liver, spinach, beef, steak, beets.you need your ferritin levels to be checked first before IV iron infusions are considered.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. My apologies, I have had my ferritin level tested and results are as follows:Ferritin ( 10-291 ug/l) mine is 4Ferritin was also tested 3 months ago and was 6 then so has dropped further over recent weeks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
could still be anemia of chronic diseasebut it looks like you need some iron supplements or possibly iron infusions.sometimes inflammatory bowel disease can make it difficult for your bowels to absorb iron from your diet or even with supplements.I would talk to your doctor about IV iron infusions.a blood transfusion would also give you red blood cells and iron as welllet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again.In your opinion, with the blood results that I have would you recommend oral iron or an alternative?I would like some idea if these results are considered to indicate mild deficiency which would normal be treated with oral iron or if results showing these levels usually warrant a different approach.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I would try oral iron after meals with a full stomach and see if you can tolerate itif you can't tolerate it, you will need IV iron infusions.your ferritins are quite low.I'm sure your low iron levels are causing some or all of your symptoms.again, crohn's disease if you have it can make it more difficult for your bowels to absorb the iron you need from your diet or even from oral pill supplements.so you might need IV iron infusions to get your iron levels back up to help you start feeling better.IV iron infusions are more expensive, so the NHS in the UK doesn't like to do them as much as iron pill supplements which are cheaper. but oral iron supplements can take much much much longer to get your levels back up.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Please could you answer a further question?As a health professional would you consider my results to show a mild, moderate or severe deficiency?I would value your opinion.I will rate your service after I have received your response.Thank you again,
Sarah
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
moderate to severe iron deficiency.please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todayThanks for using JustAnswers.com