DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've had a lot of problems with fatigue and joint

Customer Question

Hello,I've had a lot of problems with fatigue and joint pains and stiffness in my shoulders, hands, neck and knees. Also, I have muscle weakness in my shoulders and most days it causes me bad discomfort simply lifting my arms to fix my hair. The pain/stiffness seems to move around these joints. I also have swelling (but only when I am having a flare), during this time I also get swollen lymph nodes. The pains are never the same from a day to day basis, somedays I have minimal pain and others I am in agony. For the last two weeks, I have had breathlessness when walking up the stairs And felt dizzy and lightheaded sometimes when I was sat down at work. After a night of no sleeping because of heart palpTations these symptoms seem to have gone. My rheumatoid factor and CRP tested negative twice but I have got a positive ANA result and a slightly low vitamin d level. Also my blood count level was normal. Could it possibly still be RA or is it more likely that it's lupus? I've also got a family member with lupus. I am 26 years old and a non smoker.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I forgot to add that any joint pain or weakness I have is always in both sides of my body.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.
HelloIt very well could be lupus.And it can still be RAYou need:ANA panel, not just ana.MRI or ultrasound of the ands, which would show early RA.Consideration of :Polymyalgia rheumaticaFibromyalgia sectrum. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in the process of having a full ANA panel test conducted. What do you think caused my sudden onset of lightheadedness and heart palpitations? During the time of these symptoms I believe I was having a flare. At the moment is a diagnosis of lupus probable? I have had my symptoms for over 18months now and have tested negative three times for the rheumatoid arthritis tests.
If you have not had a holter monitor, that needs to be done, as cardiac rhythm problems need to be ruled out.You are not giving other symptoms of lupus. Hard to say on the probability. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello,The results of my blood tests are as follows:
Positive ANA 1:80 speckled
SM antibody- Positive
Anti-chromitin- Positive
Slightly elevated inflammatory markers
ANCA negative
(Waiting on the results of a chest x-ray and ECG)The rheumatologist said I have no tender points and have no obvious symptoms (I was in remission during the time of the appointment.) Although he did diagnose me with raynauds disease and said the problem is in my soft tissues. The rheumatolgist said that if all of the further tests he's done come back negative then he will diagnose me with soft tissue rheumatism.I have found very little information about this online, could you tell me some more about it? My doctor seems to think that it's either a lupus like disease or soft tissue rheumatism.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 10 months ago.
HiSee the premium services offer for more time on this thread
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Positive ANA 1:80 speckled
SM antibody- Positive
Anti-chromitin- Positive
Slightly elevated inflammatory markers
ANCA negative
Soft tissue rheumatism refers to a variety of problems.subacromial bursitis, epicondylitis, trochanteric bursitis, anserine bursitis, and fibromyalgiaSo I suspect your doctor is referring to fibromyalgia, unless you have documented bursitis.Or, they can occur together.What further questions do you have?