DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 45 year old female. past 3 years I have been

Customer Question

I am a 45 year old female. For the past 3 years I have been having menstral problems. Short cycles, long cycles, heavy periods and prolonged periods. I have had 2 pelvic ultrasounds over the last 2 years. Everything was normal except that one of my ovaries has no folicles left so I only have one working ovary. My oestrogen levels are also low. I had a cevical screening in February, which was normal. My period has now been ongoing for nearly 3 weeks. Not heavy all of the time it just won't stop. I have night sweats and am misetable and anxious a lot of the time. 2 days ago I ate some really hot potato from the microwave and swallowed it really quickly. I burned my throat and chest and now when I eat it hurts my chest. I am now getting anxious about that. Is there something I can take for this?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The burning sensation is due to the inflammation of the esophagus. You can try Maalox liquid 30 ml 3 times daily for relief. Regarding your irregular periods, you will benefit from oral contraceptive pills containing estrogen and progestin. Estrogen amount should be higher in the pill. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please explain why the period would last so long? Also, how long is my osophegas likely to be sore for?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Low estrogen level results in gradual proliferation of the uterus lining. The lining can get thick and then starts bleeding on its weight. The blood vessels do not constrict and hence bleeding goes on. Restoring the balance between estrogen and progestin will resolve the issue. The esophagus inflammation should improve by 7-10 days. Best wishes
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Low estrogen level results in gradual proliferation of the uterus lining.The lining can get thick and then starts bleeding on its weight.The blood vessels do not constrict and hence bleeding goes on.Restoring the balance between estrogen and progestin will resolve the issue.The esophagus inflammation should improve by 7-10 days.Best wishes
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am a double board certified clinical doctor.You need an FSHIn fact, you need a whole sex hormone panel to see if this is peri menopause, before you go on any hormones.Secondly, this 3 week period of bleeding is new for you, you need routine labs to look at your hemoglobin and your iron levels.Third: such irregularity can also be from liver or kidney problems, and thyroid problems.You don't give symptoms of liver or kidney problems, but thyroid hormones need to be checked.Find me, Dr. Thomas, anytime for accurate and complete answers.Please click a positive here.