Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I woke up with a sore neck and the right hand side of my

Customer Question

I woke up with a sore neck and the right hand side of my head felt numb after a few seconds and when I moved it went away but I'm scared its ms or something serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 37 female and usually of good health . I'm just scared it wasn't positional and more serious as I've never heard anyone saying they get a numb head with sleeping only numb hands . I once woke with a numb knee ages ago but though it was just the way I was lying . Also if I have my hands upright for ages the start getting numbish also . Oh god what if these are a sign there's something more wrong with me. I also suffer from very bad health anxiety but can usually keep it under control but not with these Umptoms
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. If this is the only symptoms that you have had, then there is no reason to be concerned about MS or any serious neurologic condition. Since the symptoms have only occurred once, lasted only a few seconds, and was relieved with movement. Actually, any one of these characteristics would be unusual for MS or a serious neurologic condition, but with all three characteristics present, it would make it even more unusual. The symptoms of MS and other serious neurologic conditions are typically recurrent or persistent and are not relieved so quickly by movement. You are correct that numbness upon awakening will more often affect the extremities, but the umbness can occur anywhere in the body. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . I've woke with this maybe 2-3 times
- the head one that is . Is this something people get ? It has really scared me and now I feel like I have a sore head. And you really think it's positional and not an underlying healthy xondition ? And I shouldn't be worried ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I have other symptoms and brush them of as nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've woke with this 2 other times also :( feel sick with worry
If each time, the numbness resolves within a few seconds with movement, then there would not be any reason for concern about the transient numbness. If there are other symptoms, then there would need to be consideration of the other symptoms. But these 2-3 brief episodes would not be a concern, by themselves. If you can relay whatever other symptoms have occurred, then we can discuss those symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only just I wake up at night sometimes
Feeling funny then my heart races. Go says it's anxiety .'im fit and health otherwise ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of other symptoms ? What if it happens again but only the numbers and sore neck I still shouldn't be concerned ?
Waking at night, feeling funny and heart racing would not be worrisome for a neurologic condition. There are some cardiac conditions that can cause heart racing, although anxiety also can cause heart racing. Any neurologic symptom that is more persistent can occur, but MS does not cause symptoms that only last a few seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if it occurs again in the same way I shouldn't be concerned ? What would you do
If it were you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be worried if it happens again in the same way . Sorry for being a pain.
There is no reason for concern if the symptoms recur in a similar pattern. If it were me, I would not pursue any evaluation for the numbness or neck soreness. It may be worth seeking treatment for the anxiety, although the entirety of how you are affected by anxiety should guide the decision of how to manage the anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what Could be causing the sore neck and numbness ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently seing a therapist for my anxiety but symptoms like this makes it hard to rationalise what's not to worry about and what I should .
Transient symptoms are most often from how you are lying in bed putting pressure on a nerve, and the symptoms resolve quickly once the pressure is relieved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you had other patients suffering similar. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the neck / head I mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does transient mean ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neck it's till slightly sore is that ok ?
Yes, I have seen patients with similar symptoms. Transient means symptoms that are of short duration. Slight neck soreness is not a concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I am safe to carry on my life and not worry that I have a underlying condition ?
Absolutely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So why does its scare me so much
That is a common characteristic of someone with health anxiety. The understanding of why you have developed anxiety is what you would need to discuss with your therapist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I over reacting to those symptoms ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have a sore head a few
Months ago , could that be related ? My head feels sore now ?
It is reasonable to seek information about any new symptom, but if you continue to be concerned about symptoms after you have learned that there is no reason for concern, that would be the point at which it would be consider over reacting. A sore head can be associated with a sore neck, which is a common tension headache or muscle contraction headache. These are not concerning other than the soreness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much for you help
You are most welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I was your daughter what would you be telling me to do ?
The same as I said above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I recently asked about the above but I have also been experiencing numbness and pinz / needles to my hands during the night and it's doing it more often last night . It usually only happens about once a night . Is there something wrong with me ? I paid for another question but have had no reply :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With relation to my hands I've had it a while but normally when I'm on my phone and my hands are up right but only a through the night about once but last night it happened twice and it really scared me . It went away after I moved or shook my hands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wasn't sure if I had mentioned my hands doing it before :(
These hand symptoms are also not worrisome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I should not be concerned that it happened a few times a night ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And over the past few months and a few times a week ?
It does not sound worrisome, but you obviously do not want to believe what I am telling you, so the only next step would be to see your doctor. I do not think that you need to see your doctor, but if that is the only way that your anxiety will be relieved, then it may be something that you need to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do believe you it just scares me when it Happens a few times a night ? Why is that ?Any suggestions what I do with the un answers question ?
It happens for the reasons that we discussed above, so it also does not need for anything to be done.