Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a continuous cough, productive white phelm and left

Customer Question

I have a continuous cough, productive white phelm and left side facia earache and sore throat and occasional left side tooth ache. Clear when laid down.when I get up the nose starts draining and coughing starts. Been to GP twice.He says its viral. He has done Lung function test.. Not COPD or asthma. Cough mixtures and vapourizes not working. I have had this for weeks, possible a month or more. On blood pressure tablets,sertraline. Was on Arcoxia anti inflammatory tablets. Have been diagnosed with hbla27. Recently have right ankle swelling due to arthritis . Can please give me any help with chest and throat issues.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome.This is most likely an infection ( probably) bacterial of the sinuses or upper respiratory tract. However sinusitis is first differential diagnosis based on your symptoms. You need to get a swab test and sputum culture so that it can be confirmed that what kind of bacteria is causing this and which antibiotics is appropriate. It would be best for you to get a thorough ENT examination by ENt specialist so that it can be diagnosed and treated accordingly. Meanwhile use of saline nasal spray , gargles, antiinflammatory tablets, nasal decongestant would be helpful. Take lots of fluids and eat well balance diet to improve your immunity.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doc, I have seen two GPs both stating they will not give me antibiotics because they say it's viral. My GP reluctant to refer me for chest infection because he says they would not find anything. So frustrated now.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply.You can tell him that if it is viral it is not settling down so rule out bacterial infection that may be super added on viral infection and request him referral to specialist doctor as your symptoms are not improving.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks for advice.