Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had vaginal atrophy. I'm better inside my vagina, but

Customer Question

I have had vaginal atrophy. I'm better inside my vagina, but outside my vagina and the vulvar region, together with both lesbians, I am very irritated and inflamed. I'm on HRT at the moment. Is this condition because of lack of oestrogen. I'm 66 years old. I have been to a gynaecologist and he has told me that I'm suffering from very low oestrogen levels. Is all this true .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, vaginal atrophy is very common in women with age due to oestrogen deficiency that occurs after menopause. The post-menopausal trophy is certainly the most common cause of vaginal and vulvar atrophy. There also appears to be a tendency to greater atrophy in certain women, so that they are more sensitive to oestrogen deficiency, and this may be genetic in some women. But even in these women, the oestrogen deficiency is the major issue in developing atrophy. While Livial therapy will usually help with vaginal atrophy, there is some evidence that certain women may do better with vaginal hormone therapy, rather than oral hormone therapy. There are some other conditions that can also cause atrophy, such as lichen sclerosus et atrophicus, which can occur in various places on the body, including a genital manifestation in some people. However, the doctor can usually differentiate post-menopausal atrophy from the medical conditions that can cause atrophy by the appearance on examination. Since your doctor said that it was due to low oestrogen, that would mean that the examination indicates that it is post-meonpausal vaginal/vulvar atrophy. So, yes, it is true that vaginal and vulvar atrophy is commonly due to low estrogen levels, If the Livial and lubrication is not able to get a satisfactory control of symptoms, then vaginal hormones may be another option to consider. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried oestrogen cream, but unfortunately, I'm allergic to it. Can you advise on which cream to use. I'm also very inflamed on vulvar region and vaginal entrance.
It would be very unusual to have an allergy to human forms of oestrogen, since it was percolating through your body until you went through menopause. If you had an allergy to an oestrogen vaginal cream, then it either was not a human form of oestrogen, such as Premarin vaginal cream or you reacted to one of the other components in the vaginal cream. So, if you took a vaginal cream that does not contain human forms of oestrogen, then it would be reasonable to consider a cream with a human form of oestrogen, such as Estrace vaginal cream. If you used a vaginal cream that did contain a human form of oestrogen, then it would be appropriate to review the other components to find an alternative that does not contain those components. Do you remember the specific brand name of vaginal cream that was used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't remember the name of the vaginal cream but I know it contains the hormone estriol. I also used the vaginal pessaries Vagifem which also contains estriol, and I had a very bad reaction to both products.
Although estriol is a human estrogen, it is not one that was in the body until you went through menopause, so if another vaginal cream is to be considered anther option would be the Estrace that I noted above, which contains the predominant human estrogen, estradiol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for everything. At least I know that the inflammation and irritation around the vulvar region is due to lack of oestrogen.
You are welcome.