Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I swallowed a piece of toast this morning about 3 hrs ago,

Customer Question

I swallowed a piece of toast this morning about 3 hrs ago, I felt the crust stick in my throat, managed to swallow it but have been left with a really sore throat. I have not vomited or coughed or brought up blood and have managed to drink tea coffe water and eat various consistencies e. G. apple Yoghurt, bread and feel very well otherwise and can speak I just feel as though I have a bit of a lump in my throat upper throat. Do I need to do anything so should the subside in its own time
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.If there are no symptoms, then the most likely possibility is that there is inflammation at the site where the toast was stuck. Mucosa in the pharynx is easily irritated and even after the offending substance has passed down the food pipe, the trauma it causes makes the mucosa to get inflamed.I would suggest that you take only semi solids and liquids for 24 hours and that too at room temperature rather a little cooler. No ice cold drinks and no hot beverages.You can also start saline or aspirin gargles four times a day to soothe the throat, taking lozenges can be soothing as well.Hope this helps.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.