DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have vertigo not sure if its menieres or bppv

i have vertigo not sure if its menieres or bppv
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloWe can not diagnose that for you.ENT needs to see you.However, meniere's usually has ringing in the ears, hearing loss, and vertigo.So, just with the information so far, it is more likely BPPV.But, other causes can include heart problems, nervous system problems, and brain problems.If this is brand new, to the ER today. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thanks , may i add, i have had tinnitus for 5 years but good hearing. i drank 3 days ago (haven't done that for a while) 4-5 double scotches, can that affect things? the vertigo lasted maybe 20 mins and i couldn't walk well had to hold my head. no fullness of the ears. have had bppv for 30 years still here, usually a bps is when i move my head to the side it spins. this time was just when i was standing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also occasionally get ocular migraines
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Drinking will affect it, and should be quit.It sounds like BPPV but you need an ENT evaluation and testing.As well as your doctor to rule out other possibilities. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i appreciate the opinion. is it because I've suffered and been diagnosed in sydney with bppv? plus good hearing? i have no or very small hearing loss, pete
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It can still be Meniere's, but less likely.However, an ENT must run tests such as nystagmograph to accurately diagnose you.In addition, complicating factors, such as heart problems, need to be ruled out by your doctor.Please click, a positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will give great review but still would appreciate bit more info nystagmograph, my eyes don't shake from side to side is that what yr saying determines bppv?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It detemines if you have other problemsAlong with other testing.And can help distinguish Menieres.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so last q, because (1) had bppv before (2) no hearing loss , theres reasonable chance its not menieres