wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have last month and a half had stools - it

I have for the last month and a half had looser stools - it seemed to start with a hot chilli meal I had (but I have had these before) and the smell was more pungent - the stools looser and greasier. I have seen a stool chart online on a scale of 1 to 7 (1 being rock hard stools and 7 being watery diarrhoea) - examples 3,4,5 were deemed healthy - generally in recent years mine have been at 5 (so slightly looser) but I would say now they were 6. It is NOT watery diarrhoea though. To start off with with I was not going to the loo every day so I started using the Ispaghula Husks (one small packet a day) so this probably contributed to original looseness but I don't use them now! The good news is that I go to the loo regularly once a day after getting up (no change in bowel habits), have absolutely no abdominal pains, the poo is the right brown colour and there is no sign of any blood at all. It feels normal but it is still slightly looser or mushier !(occasionally its firmer). I had noticed a tendency to be eating more cream and custardy things a month and a half back and I have stopped that - perhaps that is why the smell is now less pungent? I have had full blood tests recently (as I'm on BP medication) plus PSA test (full blood count) and all was A - OK! Except that my sugar count was up (not Diabetes levels), they want me to do another test in 6 months time. All my research online leads me to think it might have something to do with diet (I am not a big meat, potato or stodge eater). Eat lots of salad and vegetables. Or strong bacteria in the gut. But you have to consider everything including things more serious I know that ! I am 61.
David Staddon
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.Do you have any other symptoms?Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I don't appear to have any other symptoms - I'm regular once a day, no pains, no blood etc. Just slightly looser/mushier stools which perhaps are greasier, were more pungent but less so now.I do have medication for BP (Ramipril - 10mg on packet) which I take once a day. Have been taking since 2009.
Thank you for that additional information.From what you have posted it sounds like your bowel habits and stool findings are all within the realm of normal. I very much doubt that you have anything wrong from a GI point of view.Of course, if you are still concerned, the next step would be to consult with a gastroenterologist for a complete exam, evaluation of your stool and possibly a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy.Personally, from what you have posted, I don't think you need to go that far at this point -- I think you will be just fine.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City