Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had a chest infection and been on antibiotics which

I have had a chest infection and been on antibiotics which finished yesterday however I still have a severe cough breathlessness and upper back pain on my last examination I was told my oxygen levels were low looking for advice
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.You might want to call your doctor to check if you need more antibiotics till the symptoms start to subside or if your doctor wants to call you in to see you.In the meantime, you should start with steam nebulizations with menthol crystals added. Try to cough out the sputum/phlegm after 15 minutes of nebulizations. Massage of the chest and upper back with a vaporub or an anti inflammatory liquigel (OTC) can be beneficial. Tylenol 2 tablets every 6 to 8 hours will alleviate the back pain.Keep yourself very well hydrated to decrease the viscosity of the secretions.I would also suggest that you use lozenges and start saline water gargles to keep the throat soothed.Be on a semi solid to soft diet and try to consume chicken soup/stalk to boost your immunity.Let me know if you have any more concerns or queries.Please do rate the answer by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the breathlessness and back pain which is bothering me the most and at times I'm finding it hard to breath
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
The nebulizations and the coughing out of sputum should help with mild breathlessness, but if the breathlessness is getting severe by the hour then you might want to call your doctor on the phone or visit the A and E, sometimes, bronchospasm can result from lower respiratory chest infections and steroids are mandated. With your doctor telling you that you there is decrease in oxygen levels, I think the best thing to do will be to get the required medical attention as soon as possible.Please do rate the answer by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Wish you good health.