Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have felt absolutely fine all day and after finishing

I have felt absolutely fine all day and after finishing work I had 2 vodka and sodas with a pizza. (Around 6.30pm-8.30pm)
I went and got in bed around 9.30pm and watched TV, I have felt quite tired since getting home and switched the TV off at around 10.45pm as felt like I was nodding off. Within approx 20mins of doing so I started to get a dull ache where I presume is my heart. I also felt very aware of my breathing and heart beat and felt extremely anxious.
This feeling has prevented me from falling asleep and I feel very odd and shaky. I suffer with endometriosis and I am due on my period and also started to get period pains (nothing out the ordinary and I have had them on and off all day) at around 11.30pm So I took 2 30mg codein. I was hoping this would also help me sleep and ease this weird feeling. It hasn't and I have since took another 2 codein to try and get my to sleep as I feel absolutely awful. I realise I shouldn't have done with drinking the vodka drinks earlier but because I only had 2 and it was a while a go I forgot I had even drank alcohol.
I cannot drop off to sleep and I feel like my heart rate is raised and stronger than usual. I have never felt like this before and as it has been going on so long I am concerned now.
My husband is away and I am on my own - any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidalcohol and pizza can cause bad acid reflux. which is when stomach acid comes up from your stomach and burns your esophagusthis can cause chest pains and heart burn type symptomscodeine is the worse thing to take. it also upsets your stomach and can cause constipation and gastritisyou should not be using it as a sleeping pills.it sounds like you are having an anxiety attack possibly also with bad acid reflux.medications like pepto bismal, maalox, mylanta, zantac can help calm down stomach acid.you need to do deep breathing exercises and meditation and calm your anxiety downif your anxiety symptoms continue to stay bad, you need to see your doctorthere are medication treatments which can help decrease your anxiety symptoms.I would not take any more medications tonight on your stomachlet me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your advice. My stomach feels fine and I don't feel any symptoms of heart burn etcJust anxious, shaky with a dull chest ache that seems to come in waves. This started before I took the codein. I haven't taken anything for hours and I won't do.I have nothing obvious to feel anxious about although I do accept that this feels like some kind of anxiety attack... How long can I expect this to last?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
this varies from patient to patient. it could last a few minutes to an hour or so. you can try deep breathing exercisesand mental visualization to a place where you are more relaxed. that can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this has been lasting since 11pm so almost 5 hours - would you say this is normal for an anxiety attack and I shouldn't seek medical help or anything? I don't feel overly ill just very anxious and completely unable to sleep
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
this is very normal for an anxiety attack.the foods you have eaten can also affect how you feel.extra caffeine during the day can keep you up as well.try to read a book which can help you sleepavoid computer screens and TV and cell phones.reading a book can help calm down your anxiety and help you relax someand maybe you can get some sleeplet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomedo you see the ratings area?thanks for using JustAnswer.com