Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a sore throat 3 weeks now, red, and my

Customer Question

i have had a sore throat for over 3 weeks now, red, and my tonsil on the left looks swollen, i also have swollen glands in my neck. I went to see local GP a week ago, who said it was just a sore throat, but it doesnt seem to be getting any better, its not really "painful" just red, and sometimes causes me issues with swallowing. there is no white on my tonsils, just red. i need advice im really worried, and the doctor refuses to listen to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see enclosed pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and throat here.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The description of symptoms and the appearance on these pictures is consistent with a viral infection. A viral infection is the most common cause of a sore or red throat, and these infections will also frequently have swollen tonsils or lymph nodes. The tonsils are made of lymph tissue, so many conditions will cause tonsillar enlargement and swollen lymph nodes because both are lymph tissue responding to the infection. While most viral throat infections will resolve within a week or so, there are a small percentage that will persist for 2-4 weeks. And there are certain viral infections, such as mono/EBV and CMV, that will commonly cause infections that last weeks or months. The appearance on the pictures is not worrisome for a Strep throat or other condition that would warrant antibiotics. At this point, the usual approach would be interventions to ease symptoms, such as throat sprays or lozenges, and supportive care, such as getting plenty of rest and drinking plenty of fluids. There are no medicines that will directly eradicate a viral infection, but these interventions will support the natural healing of the body. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i not get antibiotics for a viral infection? the redness of my throat has not lowered at all in over 3 weeks now, surely it would get less red over the weeks?
Antibiotics do not help a viral infection. Sometimes, a virus takes a while to start improving, so it may not get less red over the weeks, and this is particularly common with certain viruses, such as the mono/EBV and CMV infections that I noted above.
Please let me know if I can provide any further information or assistance.