DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I turned over in bed and the room flew round

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome.This symptom is because of vertigo and dizziness that can be due to several reasons but most likely is benign proxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).This condition, where you feel as though the world is spinning around you, is one of the most frequent reasons for dizziness when lying down. In healthy patients, there are several small calcium stones that move freely around the labyrinth section of the inner ear. dizziness is generally thought to be due to debris which has collected within a part of the inner ear. This debris can be thought of as "ear rocks". Ear rocks are crystals of calcium carbonate.There are two treatments of BPPV including Epley maneuver that are usually performed in the doctor's office. Both treatments are very effective, with roughly an 80% cure rate.I would suggest you to get a consultation from your doctor so that diagnosis can be confirmed and to rule out other causes of dizziness.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is new and happened in bed.I suggest you see a doctor today at A&E.Possible causes besides harmless causes.Heart rhythm problem. You therefore should have an EKG today, and if indicated, a home monitor.Brain problem, even seizure.Nervous system problem.A variety of inner ear problems.Don't wait on this, as that could take some time. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily