Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am confused, I have read that in most cases Hpv lies

Customer Question

I am confused, I have read that in most cases Hpv lies dormant and there is always the possibility of recurrence.
I am concerned about being contagious and passing a wart causing strain of this virus on. Should I therefore advise a partner to get the Hpv vaccine as I had a wart infection 20 years ago?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Yes that is true. HPV can lie dormant for years but there is also a possibility that over the years your body's own immunity will clear up the virus from your body.So I would recommend that you should get yourself tested again to see if you are still infected with HPV or not.Yes you should advise your partner to get the HPV vaccine if you have not had that done already.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiAre you sure it is possible that your body can rid itself completely of the virus?I have read that it may be undetectable via tests however the virus may still be present therefore the test would be inconclusive would it not in determining if I still had the virus?Are there 20 low risk strains?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Type 20 is a harmless (benign) virus and is not associated with cancer.Here is what CDC says " Studies have shown that more than 90% of new HPV infections, including those with high-risk types, clear or become undetectable within two years, and clearance usually occurs in the first 6 months after infection."http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/surv-manual/chpt05-hpv.htmlLet me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have read all of this myself. It says the infection clears not the virus.Is it possible then for your body to rid itself of the virus completely and would testing therefore be conclusive?I didn't ask if type 20 was a low risk strain I asked if there were 20 (twenty) low risk strains?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
A clearing infection means clearing of the virus.Yes it is possible for the body to get rid of the virus completely.Testing would be conclusive.I do not know the exact number of low risk strains worldwide but the low risk strains that commonly affect us are HPV 6, 11 (which are the most common ones) 42, 43, and 44.I would appreciate a rating before we proceed.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have read that Hpv tests cover the 5 strains you have mentioned.I have read that most people acquire Hpv. Do most people acquire both high and low risk strains?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I have read all of the information you are giving me on line already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an additional opinion/advice I can get from someone who specialises in Hpv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see you are no longer responding. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response.Usually people acquire either low risk or high risk and not both together.Yes HPV tests usually cover the common strains.Please rate me before we proceed so that I am compensated for my time by the website.Kindest regards