Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

We have had a cat in our house weeks after about a

hi we have had a cat in our house for 2 weeks after about a week of having the cat i am waking up in the night with wheezing and coughing fits which get pretty bad i have a salamol inhaler which helps but same thing happens every night and i need the inhaler every night . do you think i would benefit from a preventer inhaler or steroid tablets? i have bought a pet hair vacum cleaner and will try and keep the cat out of the bedroom. I am on clarithromycin at the moment to clear a respiratory tract infection.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I think that it would be most beneficial for you to stay away from the cat as keeping the cat may endanger your life in the long-term.You would benefit from the preventer inhaler.Steroid tablets are only an option if the preventer inhaler fails because oral steroids have a lot of side effects especially when used in the long run.But the bot***** *****ne is that you have to get the cat out of your house unfortunately as you are allergic to it.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end when you are done asking.Kindest regards