Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I HAVE SEVERE NAIL GROWTH PROBLEM ON THREE FINGERNAILS -

I HAVE SEVERE NAIL GROWTH PROBLEM ON THREE FINGERNAILS - UNSURE IF NAIL BED DAMAGED BUT AS NAIL DO REGROW SLOWLY THEY PRESENT IN THICKENED FORM AND WITHOUT A NAIL EDGE. AFFECTS MY DAILY LIFE AND NEED MANAGING ALMOST DAILY , BUT NEVER SEEM TO PROGRESS POSITIVELY IN REPAIR AND TREATMENT NEEDS EXPERT ASSISTANCE I FEEL. THERE MUST BE SOME HELP SOMEWHERE. IMAGES ATTACHED AND I DO APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE. THANK YOU.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Sorry to hear about your problem.Have you been seen for this?Used any medications?Been to dermatologist?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have seen a dermatologist perhaps now 18months ago and at that time given some ointment to apply at base / cuticle area of nail also to help prevent water ingress. It wasn' t fungal related. However life goes on ! and still struggling. I do wear rubber gloves when I can and keep as moisturised as can. Im afraid the habit of picking at and clipping these nails has developed over time and I need some input for giving 'hope' that this can be overcome to regain presentable functioning nails again. Just had results of contact allergy patch testing - not related to this however, but for your info - showing nickel II sulfate hy... so also dealing with this. Thank you for your initial response - hope my reply is more guided.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyour nails look like nail bed hypertrophy or Onychauxis presents with thickened nails it may be due to trauma, psoriasis, or pityriasis rubra pilaris, or, in some cases, hereditaryyou should ask your doctor to get a biopsy of your nail bed to help with diagnosis.ask your doctor to see if this may be a sign of psoriasis.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - if my doctor does proceed to get a nail-bed biopsy to help with diagnosis and this provides a clear result as one of the first two conditions you list or even Paryonychia/ Pachyonychia ? and certainly on any regrowth a 'wedge' shape nail tends to form, are any of these conditions responsive to corrective treatment. This I may pursue through UK health service provision or privately funded planning. I'm just desperate now to make a positive headway on stopping this and experience a recovery from what is now quite life inhibiting, stressful and ingrained in a daily cover-up routine to these nails to avoid exposure/viewing in public. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, the nails can be helped with proper treatmentbut you need a biopsy to help with diagnosis.yes, you can ask for a nail bed biopsy by the NHS or you can go to a private doctor if you would like to pay.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again - thanks for your reply in my further questions on this matter.
I shall seek this beneficial diagnosis action initially, if this is a task willing to assist with, from my GP as you suggest. If for any reason he/she is not particularly responsive to my current status, or for expediency, would you have an indication on cost implications and possible duration if a private approach for satisfactory treatment repair & recovery plans were pursued ? What sort of stages of treatments or intervention might I be encountering to overcome my nail abnormality ?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
private care in the UK can vary from doctor to doctor and region to regionyou should see a private dermatologist close to you to assess your nails to see how much it would cost to have a nail bed biopsy and diagnosis.treatment recommendations can only be made after proper biopsy and diagnosis.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - thanks, ***** ***** to be a short list of private doctors within reasonable proximity to me to consider approaching. However most treatment listings for Dermatologists seem not to highlight 'fingernail' or 'nail' related conditions directly. Should I be looking or asking for a particular specialist area that they specialise or are experienced in ? and if so, this is known as ?? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
nail conditions are under dermatology specialty.any board certified dermatologist would have studied nail conditions.there is no specific nail specialty other than dermatologylet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - yes I will do the rating, just finally here I think;
Can you recommend a particular website(s) for preferred listing of private doctors that will deliver on results and are therefore very good options for me to open up a dialogue for relevant information prior to any commitment. I'm not going to be able to distinguish one professional from another necessarily and I may need to go outside my immediate locality too which could then extend from West Midlands to parts of the North West and the East Midlands. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can try this websitehttp://www.privatehealth.co.uk/doctors-and-health-professionals/there are not great websites which rate and give result outcomes of private uk doctors.it can be difficult to navigate and see private doctors and know what to expect.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician