Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A week ago i did the blood test and the result was total

Hi, a week ago i did the blood test and the result was total cholesterol 6.4, hdl 1.50,ldl 4.2 and tsh 55.42 and t4 7.2
I give birth 6 mouths ago but everything was fine at all...after for 1 mouth i used the pach for prevent pregnancy but i was feeling sick i was swallow and even i was on diet i didn t lise any kg fir that i stop it... on my diet i m avoid chunky food, butter, sweet ,fat cheese and milk but i use soya milk chicken and blue fish, fruits and vegetables.
The doctor said i have hypothyroidism and i need take pills for the rest of my life. He prescribed me atorvastadin and levothyroxine... i would like to know if is true i suffert from this type of sickness and if there is any other way to cure this one? This problem can be caused from the pach or pregnancy? Never i suffer from that or something else.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Do you have any previous labs for comparison, particularly the cholesterol levels?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. The TSH indicates hypothyroidism. It is most often caused by autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid, not by the patch or pregnancy. There is no cure for hypothyroidism and people with hypothyroidism typically require treatment with levothyroxine for the rest of their life. The cholesterol warrants further discussion. The lab results are clearly elevated. However, it is possible that the hypothyroidism is contributing to the elevated cholesterol, particularly if previous lab tests of cholesterol were better. Although different doctors would have different approaches, I would usually first get better control of the thyroid disease and then recheck the cholesterol levels before starting medicines for the cholesterol such as atrovastatin. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I doctor sorry cos my late reply but i m sorry i don t have any other lab test but i was checking time to time before and i never had problemos with colesterol....... even during pregnancy..... so u suggest me to do jot take medicine until now and go to a specialist first? So if is not from the pach and not from the pregnancy can be cos i was had sore throat during the blood test make this high level of TSH?
The patch, pregnancy, or sore throat would not cause the elevated TSH. So, it would be appropriate to take the thyroid medicine, but I would typically wait to treat the cholesterol until the thyroid disease is stabilized.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks doctor......il will wait a bit before take the colesterol medicene
You are very welcome. Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don t u worri i will do it...... just last question this problem can effect my weight? Will i take kg? With the pills as well??? Is there any way like operation instead to take pills for solve this problem??
Many people with hypothyroidism will have weight gain or difficulty losing weight, but it is not universlly present. There is no surgery to treat hypothyroidism. Surgery is sometimes used for hyperthyroidism, but not hypothyroidism.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.