Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am currently in a state of ketosis (acetone breath and

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently in a state of ketosis (acetone breath and rapid weight loss). I am concerned because I am experiencing some side effects - itchy skin, fatigue, nausea, diarrhoea
Should I stop the ketosis diet? I am also bipolar type 2 and have found it to have an excellent effect on my mood so I don't want to give it up if I don't have to
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.These are known side effects of the ketosis diet. Fatigue and lack of energy is due to dehyration and hypoglycemia, The diarrhea occurs when you reduce the intake of fat as well along with carbs. A low fat and carb diet and a high protein diet can cause diarrhea. The itchiness is due to sugar cravings or increase in bilirubin levels due to liver malfunction. These side effects usually occur when you are over doing the ketosis diet. Muscle cramps, headaches, kidney stones, shakiness and weakness, confusion, palpitations, low thyroid levels, hair loss and sleep disturbances are other known side effects.I would suggest that for now, you go to an Urgent Care or an ER and have your blood sugar levels checked and baselines done as well which will include renal functions and liver function tests.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of your screen.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your reply I am on my way to the ER now.Is there a safe way to follow a ketosis diet?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Anything that limits the intake of essential minerals and nutrients is not safe. So, I doubt there is a safe way.A proper diet is one which contains all the essential nutrients - carbohydrates, proteins and fats in the necessary portions.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.