Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Dr David. I wondered if you were available to talk too?

Customer Question

Hi Dr David.
I wondered if you were available to talk too?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyes, what is your question ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doctor.I've spoken to you previously and I just wanted a second opinion on something which I have already spoken to an expert on here about but he wasn't really forthcoming with advice. Is that ok to run it past you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
sure it is ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It's just I use a food steamer for my babies meals, But we had a little incident a few weeks ago where I accidently melted the foot on the bottom slightly as I put the steamer on the hob to use the extractor fan not realising one of the electric hobs was left on. The steamer still works and the damage looks superficial as it has only really melted the outer casing. My concern is that I have read about the concerns in regards ***** ***** and bpa and I just feel worried about the heat coming up from the bottom of the unit which may of released these chemicals especially into the food from the steam or heat. I read about the concern with these chemicals when heating foods and I hadn't realised until after so my baby did consume the food. My husband said he also had the same thing happen to him but the heat didn't melt the casing so I'm just worried this may of happened more than once. Sorry I hope you don't find me annoying I just do get anxious about things like this and wondered what your advice would be after speaking with you before.
Many Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if the damage is superficial, most likely there is no damage which causes chemicals to be in the steamif you are worried about the damage, throw the food steamer away and buy a new one for your family.I seriously doubt that this damage would cause toxins to be in the food to injure you and your babyI would not stress about thatlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture actually doctor of the damage. But my concern was the extra heat coming up through the bottom of the unit. Would that not of released these chemicals is read about leaching in regards ***** ***** which concerned me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that is a tiny amount of damage.the amount of chemicals would be insignificantget a new steamer if you are worriedI am not worried about the chemicals from this melted plastic damage.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your re assurance. I think I will get a new one to be on the safe side. May I just ask would should I be worried about the extra heat going through the vent holes up into the unit? It's just I read about the warnings of heating plastics due to bpa and pthalates.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if this was a repeated thing everyday with this unit on a heating unit, melting plastic everyday for several months and you kept using it daily for steaming food, then there might be a worrybut this wasn't the case. you caught the melted plastic quicklyI would not be worried.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor. We've had the unit for 4 months and it happened once where my husband accidently used it with the hob left on but there was no melting and then my incident with the melting. I do think could there of been other times where the hob could of been on and we didn't notice, would you be concerned about that doctor.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, i would not be concerned about thatlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay doctor.
Ok thank you for advice. May I just ask, when I was reading about the concern around phthalates and bpa ect, as I said previously it was saying about plastics being heated and the leaching of these chemicals. Thats why I asked about the heat going up into the unit. I was worried that would be a concern in itself besides the melting?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
for repeated months and years of exposure, it could be a concernbut for a short period of time of a few days, it would not be a concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok thank goodness for that. I just worry that if we are exposed to these chemicals daily anyway in the air or plastics ect and then with this incident on top would it not raise the risk. Sorry I was just reading a lot into it.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can calm down your anxiety and worrythe problem was found and is fixed if you don't use the steamer anymore.you don't have to continue to worryplease leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I definitely won't use it any more but I do just worry as I used it for about a month after my husband had the first incident of using it on the heated hob as it was working fine and nothing appeared to be melted. I did use it daily. Do you think that's ok
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I think that is okthat is not too long.you don't have to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I really hope not, I just worry what if it was giving off these toxins into the food each time I used it and if the hob was on more times than we realised in that 4 months as I was using it everyday. Would it literally have to be long periods of exposure like all day , day in day out do you think to be a concern .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your body has an amazing way to detoxify yourself.we produce deadly toxins in our own bodies everyday we livewe create ammonia in our system from food metabolism and your liver clears the ammonia out of your systemyou create urea toxins from protein metabolism and your kidney clears them dailyyour body can detoxify itself very wellyou don't have to worry.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackThanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry yes I will do the rating now may I still ask a couple of questions after I've rated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info above, would that still be the case for babies as she's only 9 months old. It's just I keep thinking how do these things like phthalates and bpa cause cancer if our bodies get rid of toxins like this.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
we don't know the full story of how these agents cause cancer.there are those who get cancer who have never had these phthalates and bpa exposure.so there is still a lot we don't know about how cancer starts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you think my scenario is an exposure to them as such.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, you don't have to worry about this exposure for you or your baby.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou. Actually doctor I've just been reading the box of the product and it says the baskets that the food sits in are bpa free but I know that only means they would of used another chemical in place wouldn't they? Do you think with her being only 9 months old she would of cleared these chemicals such as pthlates as well as we would?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, she would able able to clear out bad chemicals if she had them in her food.it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety over this.bpa free is a good thing.you don't have to stress about other chemicalsyou can easily get your anxiety out of control with thissomething that has already passedand that you don't have control over now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know I panicked afterwards thinking about it all and I read a lot online about the chemicals in plastic and that's when I read about pthlates and them leaching into foods was a concern. I just hate the thought of these toxins going into her body.
Do you think doctor with the heat from the hob they would of gone into her food?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, I don't think they would have gone into her food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I ask what would of happened to them in the heated plastic? Sorry I don't mean to go on with my questions
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the food most likely would be 100% fine.it is unknown what happened when that plastic was heated on the steamer.it is not something that doctors or scientist are able to answer at this time.there are no studies on stuff like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's what I was thinking and what worried me really. As I didn't know if they would travel up through the steam to the food from the element or anything. if this info isn't known doctor how would we know not to be concerned about this scenario?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if you were concerned, what would you do differently at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know there's nothing I can do but I was just trying to understand on what basis or information you are able to reassure me on the scenario.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the plastic was pba freethere is no proof that melting that plastic at the base of your steamer will cause cancer causing agents to get into her food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. And would you say that even if there was cancer causing agents in the food from the heat damage that it would take years of this exposure, even say if it was high exposure of chemicals coming from the steam? Just thinking this is the worst case scenario if that information isn't known.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I told you already it would take years of exposure to be a worry for cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok sorry I was just worried if all the info about these phthalates wasn't known it could be a single exposure that causes cancer.thats all I was trying to understand as I was just thinking about the steamer being on each time for about an hour and obviously getting the continued heat from the hob in this time.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if a single exposure to phthalates caused cancer, it would be known as a cancer causing agent and would be band from use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see so this heat and melting wouldn't of turned it into a cancer causing agent or is that not known.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it would not turn into a cancer causing agent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was just thinking as it would of heated over a certain temperature in a way it shouldn't of been heated. I'm prob over thinking things. So just thinking in her lifetime them as she will be exposed to further pthlates ect as we all are just in the air and other ways. This incident won't add to the risk.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, it won't add to the riskyou are letting your anxiety run the show hereyou need to calm down your worries.please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todayThanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor, I'm trying my hardest to work on it believe me. I've just been trying to understand about the concerns in regards ***** ***** and plastics and how they do cause cancer really.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like reading these things really are worsening your anxiety over them.if reading this material worsens your anxiety, I would stop reading them.it sounds like this "trying to understand" is becoming counter productive for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know but it's so hard when your worried about something not to try to read up on it. What I keep thinking about is the warning about these chemicals in life generally. I mean to say if people get cancers from phthalates being there throughout there lifetime without things like this happening that's what concerned me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
we don't know if and when or how phtalates can cause cancer.there is still too much we don't knowso there is no point in worrying about this now. let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but do you think we know enough to say my scenario wouldn't be a cause as we know how the body works with toxins such as these when they are in food or in the air? Or is that not correct to say.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
we know enough that we know you don't have to worry about this exposure.continuing to worry doesn't help you or your baby.and only takes away attention from your baby.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know and I am trying hard to not let it affect us but it is hard when you have concerns in regards ***** ***** babies health. Especially when it's something you have accidently done. I feel awful about it if it could affect her in later life just thinking if its not known how these chemicals can affect us. But hopefully am I right to think that not everything is known about phthalates but the information that doctors like yourself know about them is enough to be able to say that this incident isn't a concern or do you say not to worry as it's something we don't know much about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if your able to comment on my thread doctor or do I need to do the rating first.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you should leave a positive feedback so I can get credit for helping you so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Ive just done it now. It wouldn't load when I tried yesterday but I think it is done now?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanksthat went throughI would not be worried about that steamer and chemicalsyour baby will be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking about it actually doctor and do you think if any phthalates were released it would have been only from the couple minutes of melting rather than the heat in the unit from the hob. As I was thinking this unit gets hot anyway when it is in use doesn't it or would the extra heat from the hob make it leech even more of these chemicals.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I think it was only released when it was melted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I ask why you think this.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
because that is what I think happened. it is a steamer.the plastic is meant to get hot when steamed.there is no BPA in it.you have to stop worrying about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I really want to try and put it behind me and not worry about it.
The steam baskets are bpa free but I'm not sure if the unit itself would be? I did read that bpa is only used in clear plastic though which would only be the baskets do you know anything about that? And would these phthalates definitely be in the plastic base of the unit? I just wanted to show you this picture of the steamer. This is it but our base is white.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
there may not be phthalates in the plastic base.you are jumping to do many conclusions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just so worried about these chemicals being released that's all. I didn't know if the extra heat going through would make it release them even though it's made to get hot. I didn't know what you meant earlier in the thread when you said that we don't know everything about pthlates but know enough that this incident wouldn't be a concern. I didn't know if you could explain this in more depth to me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
more explaining will not help calm your anxiety.there is nothing here which means your child will get cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what I don't understand is how we can say and think that if not everything is known about phthalates and it's unknown what happened to the melting part in the steam. I just mean to say what do we know about phthalates that doesn't make this a concern.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
we don't know what is in that plastic.we don't know what happens when it is melted.you can't jump to worry about it causing cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know but if we don't know all this how can we know that it would take years of exposure to cause cancer and not an episode such as this.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
because if one exposure caused cancer, then we would see the cancer and the cause would be known.for most cancers we see, we don't know the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I don't know all I keep thinking is with the extra heat going into the unit this would of caused more of these pthlates to be released and if there are concerns about these chemicals generally in life when something specific like this happens with them it must be a concern. That's what I can't seem to make sense of especially if we don't know how or why it when they cause cancer.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you need to stop worrying about this piece of plastic and steamerthere is nothing you can do about it nowyou need to move on from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I really want to but I have been so worried about it all. Doctor I spoke to my friend about it who is in the electronics industry and he said this about the situation;
" In regards ***** ***** melted plastic - forget about it, any toxins that were given off (if any) would go upwards, the cooking area was sealed by steam which increased the pressure inside the cooking trays so that nothing could get in only out. The food was not contaminated nor could it "
I just wondered if you would agree with this?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I agree with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and may I ask would the same thought stand for heat in the base unit from the hob as I was worried this would evaporate the pthlates into the food?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes it would be the same for the base
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So they would have just gone into the air really then these chemicals? Would that not be a concern.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it would not be a concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome