Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am on Nuvo ring. My OBGYN is unavailable right now. I heard

Customer Question

I am on Nuvo ring. My OBGYN is unavailable right now. I heard from a friend who told me that you are protected as long as you keep it in at least 3 weeks and take it out within 5 weeks and put one back in within 7 days. Is this true? Obviously I won't act on a my friends advice without professional consultation. Here is my issue: After my period, I put a new ring in 4 days late due to complications with pharmacy. Yes, I used to back up protection for a week. But now it's been in for 3 weeks since I put it in. I usually keep in for 25 days and then out for 5. My OB wanted to keep my period short, because I have certain issues in that area. Should I wait a full 25 days or can I take it out now and then put it back in 5 days? My body does not want wait longer for a period. Either way I chose will I be protected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clear I took it out last on the 20th and put it in on 29th of March. And I know I have been protected thus far, because I used back for a week due to putting it in later than my usual 5 day break for my period. My question is how to proceed and be protected now that I have messed with my schedule.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.I would suggest you to go according to your gynecologist advise. Keep in for 25 days and then take 5 day break. And do consult your doctor when he is back so that it can be re evaluated.Please do not forget to leave leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of your screen.Regards.