Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband has lost a lot of weight,is losing body hair and

My husband has lost a lot of weight,is losing body hair and has a rattle in left lung (he is asthmatic) could it be thyroid ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Well, it could be thyroid since, weight loss, appetite gain, insomnia, loosing body hair, diarrhea, palpitations, elevated pulse rate, anxiety are signs of thyroid over activity but the only way to find out is by getting thyroid function tests done or at least a TSH test done. These are simple blood tests and reports are available in 48 to 72 hours.Another cause can be low testosterone. And testosterone levels can be checked by a blood test as well.But the best course of action will be for him to see his PCP for a more detailed evaluation and targeted tests. A chest x ray will also be warranted here.Please do not forget to leave leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of your screen.Regards.