Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had a feeling of a lump in my throat . I

I have had a feeling of a lump in my throat for ages. I know I have been coughing up phlegm but I swallow it as I hate bringing it up. I have had a very mild sore throat for ages along side it. My husband recently in the last few days caught a cold too, so I think it may be that? Last night it was particularly bad, and I realised I was coughing up white thick foam. It is worse when I lie down too. I have also in the last few months lost a lot of weight due to a relapse in a eating disorder.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.
Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have borderline personality disorder. I take lamotragine escitalopram, thyroxine for hypothyrodism and a PPI due to ulcers I had 3 years ago due to bulimia .
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.You are most likely having what is called as globus hystericus which is a condition where a person feels as though there is a lump inside the throat whereas a matter of fact there is no lump in there.The two most common causes of feeling a lump in the throat are:AnxietyAcid refluxIf lower you are on lower doses of PPI I would recommend increasing the dose.If your anxiety is not controlled I would recommend following up with a psychiatrist to have it managed appropriately.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at the top right hand corner when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this relevant...
Iv had a very light period for 1 day then three days later the heaviest period iv ever had? It calmed down but still had one for three days? Never happened before
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.
HelloSince you have had this symptom for ages , you need further work up.This can beesophageal stricture.Other problems in the esophagus.Spasm of the esophageal muscles.Any acid reflux that has gone on for a long time without control needs a scope.You should have your GP refer you to a gastroenterologist at this point.; OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.
Period is not related to your symptoms of the throat as far as I am concerned.This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine