Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There, I have had what I think is the flu a week

Hi there, I have had what I think is the flu for about a week now, I have been too ill to go into the doctor, but I am unable to keep my temperature down, last night, it spiked to 40C despite taking flu capsules ect, this morning it is lower but still raised. should I see someone or wait it out?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. As long as the symptoms are limited to flu/viral symptoms, then it would be reasonable to try to continue to manage this at home. However, I am referring more to the symptoms beyond the fever. If you are having common viral symptoms in addition to the fever, such as congestion, cough, muscle aches, and headaches, then it would be reasonable to continue to try to manage this at home. However, if there are symptoms to suggest that this may be progressing beyond a viral infection, such as significant sinus pain or shortness of breath, then it wold be better to be seen, as the fever may be due to a bacterial infection that has superimposed on the original viral infection, such as sinusitis or pneumonia. For managing a stubborn fever at home, it may help to alternate between paracetamol and ibuprofen. Either drug can be taken every 4-6 hour for fever, but when the fever is more stubborn, alternating the two drugs will allow for something to be taken every 2-3 hours and can do better for relief of the fever. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.