Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was laying down when I felt a sharp pain in the left side

I was laying down when I felt a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. Now I feel it in my shoulder and arm. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. By a large margin, the most common cause of pain in the chest and shoulder in a young adult is from musculoskeletal inflammation. If it is mild, it may resolve spontaneously and may not require any interventions. However, if the symptoms are more significant, then it would be appropriate to take an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also can help to apply moist heat to the chest and shoulder, such as using a moist heating pad or soaking in hot bath water. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be a heart attack?
Not at age 19, unless you have a congenital heart condition, which you would typically already have known.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So should I let it come down on its own? I can still feel it, it's been over an hour now.
If it is mild, it is fine to just give it some time, but if it is more significant, it would be fine to use ibuprofen or naproxen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's late in the night where I am, so I can't get those drugs. It just started out of the blue, I was feeling fine before that.
It would be OK to wait until morning, but you may have something else in your house that you can try. Do you have any pain medicine in your house? Aspirin? Paracetamol?
I have not heard back - Do you have any pain medicine in your house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't, I'm just laying back down to see if the pain will go on its own.
That is fine. If the pain persists in the morning, then you can get one of the above medicines. Once I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of ibuprofen should I use?
Any brand of ibuprofen or naproxen is fine.