Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

My 12 year old son suffered a calf problem last night while

My 12 year old son suffered a calf problem last night while playing football. He had been playing for 40 minutes and was running to get the ball when he felt a sharp pain and had to stop immediately. We iced the leg last night but this morning it seems very slightly worse. Pain is mid calf, but no obvious bruising or swelling. He can walk if he keeps his leg straight and weight on the heel. Please advise.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Dr.Amta and I would be assisting you with your concerns today.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Most likely this is just muscle pull of gastrocnemius muscle of the calf.This should improve in few days.Keep icing the painful area and apply a crepe bandage to provide compression.He can also take ibuprofen 200mg as per need after having something to eat.He should give rest to the leg until he is better.This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A couple of additional questions:
1. How soon do you think likely before he can play football again?
2. What about general PE at school e.g. Running , cricket
3. Do you think he is OK to walk around at school on Monday? (Should he get a crutch?)
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Generally a muscle pull should improve by 3-5 days.He should participate in all PE only when he is completely pain free.This may take a week or so.He should be much improved by Monday and be able to walk at school.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you assuming that this is a grade 1 tear or actually less than that?
And also to be clear, if he is pain free he could potentially play football in a weeks time?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct.Lack of swelling or bruising point towards low grade injury.If he is pain free he should be able to play in a weeks time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is all very helpful.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and best of luck.Do take a moment to rate my service.You can come back to seek any clarification even after you have rated.