Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My mum had done a pleral effusion a litre of fluid remove a

Customer Question

My mum had done a pleral effusion a litre of fluid remove a week ago but last two days has had a cough slightly and been out breath a bit is this ok after this
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Yes this can occur from the irritation or inflammation of the pleural membranes following large volume thoracentesis.Why was the pleural effuson --is it due to infection or from malignancy?Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you she had cancer a year ago come back in her lymph node and had chemo and then was left without any treatment for nine months as they said the chemo had sorted it out then just recently was breathless and hospital said the X-ray show some fluid on lung had it remove s week ago she not got a appetite and tried with a bit of dry cough and breathlessness in last few days
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
It is important to check the fluid for cancer cells to check for recurrence.Malignant effusion often returns even after drainage.She will need another clinical evaluation if breathlessness worsens.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sometimes they said it may not occur but if it does she can have surgery to help thank you for your support
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcomeBest wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Peace of mind for me as long as I no with her still bit breathless and dry cough I don't have to rush bk up hospital thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said didn't indicate signs of recurrence on X-rays and scans
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is reassuring.Do not worry.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No appetite and tried after having fluid removed a week ago not eating hardly why is this
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Infection can be a common cause-- that should be checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as possible and is this serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or could it be it take time to get back appetite after pleural effussion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does take get appetite back
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Should not take more that a week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thks cause it been two weeks I see how it goes if not go for check up sooner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would steroids make her eat shall I try these
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steroids would they make her appetite better and can I try these
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf she is breathless, with a cough, as you say, this can be a complication even though she has had fluid drained.Even infection.She needs a CT scan of the lungs at this point.I would take her in at this point. We can not make that decision since we can not examine here.BE safe, not sorry later. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said to take her bk only if breathing was bad as it just now and again I feel it the over effect of two weeks ago I have put her on steroids so hopefully these will make her eat more thanks you for your answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also feel a bit sick after she tried eat in morning
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If her breath is bad like they said, or at all, she needs to go back in.