Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a man and I had sex with a HIV+ male who is

I am a man and I had sex with a HIV+ male who is undetectable yesterday. This included oral sex (receiving), and anal sex with condom (I was the top). However, I found a little scratch on my penis that might have not been covered by the condom and potentially got in touch with bodily fluids. Is this a reason to be worried, and shall I get PEP?
thank you
J.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The current recommendations for PEP is that it is not recommended for most sexual encounter with someone that is HIV positive but has undetectable viral loads. The only sexual encounter for which PEP would be recommended would be if you were the receptive partner during anal sex. Since you were the insertive partner during the anal sex, then PEP would not be indicated. A little scratch on the penis would not change the recommendation. The reason for this recommendation is that there is increasing evidence that an undetectable viral load creates a situation in which the risk is quite low. Since the risk is the greatest for being the receptive partner, there is hesitance to not give PEP to the receptive partner until further evidence is available. But for your situation, PEP is not indicated. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.