Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been on dihydrocodeine past six months and

I have been on dihydrocodeine for the past six months and because of constipation have been taking laxatives (ducolax suppositories) on a daily basis. I am starting to get really worried about the effect this will have on my stomach. I fear ending up with a cholostomy!. I am due to come off the DF's soon and was hoping the withdrawal would get my bowels working without laxatives? Do you think I will have done permanent damage?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.No, as soon as you come off the opiate, the constipation will be relieved. There is no permanent damage to the gut with these medication.Rest assured.Please leave a positive rating for the service, click on the stars on top of the screen to rate.Best regards.