Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have been having floating stools or mild loose stools

Hi,I have been having floating stools or mild loose stools for the past 2 weeks. I do suffer from IBS.The stools float, but they are generally normal (sometimes a bit loose) as in the colour is normal, size and shape, there is no blood or mucus. They are not hard to flush. I do eat a large amount of fruit and vegetables (more so recently).I also take acyclovir for the last couple of months to stop reccuring cold sores.Is this something i need to speak to my doctor about, or could this be normal sometimes or IBS related?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you with your concerns today.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Floating stools indicate increased gas content of the stool in most cases.If not associated with other symptoms like fever, pain , weight loss , unusual foul smell etc... they are harmless and should resolve on their own.They may also be due to IBS.If you do not have any other associated symptom you should not worry and you do not need to seek medical attention.This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.