Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I had a root canal infection diagnosed by my Dentist

Customer Question

I had a root canal infection diagnosed by my Dentist last August, as I had (and still have) and abscess on the gum next to the infected tooth. It is a large molar next to the wisdom tooth (which has been removed and now the abscess has taken its place). The Dentist said the infection was draining into that place. He suggested a root canal by an Endodontist or having it extracted or, just leaving it. I have since done a lot of research, visited one other Dentist who I chose because he uses lasers, but I didn't proceed with him because he said he may find, once he started drilling, that he would have to refer me to an Endodontist anyway. I have now made an appointment with an Endodontist but have been put off by the letter which states that all sorts of things could go wrong and reading a forum of patients who have had very bad experiences with root canal fillings.
Was my Dentist correct in saying that I could just leave it? The abscess is getting less active and I don't have any pain.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?