Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had some problem with piles 5 years ago and had them banded.

Customer Question

I had some problem with piles 5 years ago and had them banded. I also had a full colonoscopy. In 2011 I had an SCA and I had an ICD implanted. I was also put on a raft of meds including asprin and clopidogrel. Recently I had a short gastric problem with severe diarrhea. For a few days now I've had a heavy bleed when I visit the toilet to pass a stool. Initially it was spurting blood in a short burst, its now less blood in drops. It doesnt come with the initial stool, its fresh, red and about the same quantity as a nose bleed. Im in no pain. The bleeding only occurs when Im passing stools, I can pass wind etc without any blood.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.Spurting blood can not be discounted or waited upon.I don't know your colonoscopy findings, but you could still have a new polyp, diverticulosis which can bleed, or an av malformation.You also do not know how much blood you have lost.And you are on blood thinners.You need to be checked out today without fail. A&E if needed.Including a hemoglobin check and exam.Follow up as indicated. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you.I have enabled the rating scale at the top of the page.If no further questions, please rate a positive: that is how we are paid for our time and expertise.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidbeing on blood thinners clopidogrel can definitely cause piles or hemorrhoids to bleed easier.there are some treatments which can help calm down your hemorrhoid inflammation.there is 1% over the counter hydrocortisone steroid cream which can be used on external hemorrhoids twice a day for 1-2 weeks which can helpyour doctor can prescribe for you 25mg hydrocortisone suppositories which can be used twice day to help calm down internal hemorrhoidsavoiding constipation and straining by using stool softeners, drinking more water, eating more fiber, using fiber supplements, using laxatives as needed to soften your stools can help prevent hemorrhoid inflammation.the last resort is usually hemorrhoid surgery for your piles to cut them out or have them banded like you had before.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two conflicting answers, one rushing me off to A and E one more moderate.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthanks for the positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com