Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Am spina bifida neurogenic bladder got assaulted last week

Am spina bifida neurogenic bladder got assaulted last week prodded hard by a stick to bladder had gush of urine now distension more than norm still leak urine lower abdominal n back pain. Spasms much stronger expecting apt with urology soon cud this be bruised or what wat wud treatment be wud tabs help
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This looks like urinary retention and needs to be addressed in the ER or the Urgent Care instead of waiting on a specialist appointment.The bladder is definitely bruised and possibly the bladder neck or the urethra is inflamed and causing obstruction to normal flow of the urine. Most of the times, in such a scenario a supra pubic catheter needs to be passed. However, a decision regarding that needs to be taken after a thorough evaluation and an ultrasound as well.Let me know if you have any concerns about this.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
You have a neurogenic bladder and in such cases, the response to retention is very slow and ill defined since the bladder is used to carrying a large capacity of urine.Sometimes, a hematoma (collection of blood due to tissue damage) in the bladder can also cause this but that needs to be ruled out and requires at least an ultrasound to do so. Once, the ultrasound rules out any free fluid in the lower abdomen and any significant injury to the bladder itself, you can have peace of mind and wait for the urology appointment.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thx am very medical phobic and can only trust urologist who knows me in past had suprapubic catheter but bypassed so this wont help I don't want to be hospitalised cant tablets help
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I understand the situation and your hesitance, but this visit is necessary to give us an insight in to what the actual problem is here.You do not have to get any procedures done right away if you do not trust the doctor there but at least, getting evaluated and an ultrasound will be beneficial. Tablets can help in some situation but at this point in time we do not have a definitive diagnosis, it is all speculation and the only way to confirm a diagnosis and treat is to have this evaluated. Another idea will be to contact your Urologist over the phone to get his/her opinion.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.