Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

We live in portugal and my husband broke his upper thigh 4

Customer Question

we live in portugal and my husband broke his upper thigh 4 days ago was hospitalised here and operated on with a nail and 2 screws to repair the fractures after 4 days in hospital we came out yesterday. He is in constant pain pretty much and we live for the 3/4 hour pain killers the specialist wasn't contactable today so the emrgency doc at the private hosptial on my request for stronger painkillers and sleeping tablets prescribed zaldiar 37.5mg and trazodona 100 mg sleeping tablets it's all in Portuguese and I am nervous about them. He had 1 painkiller at 7.30 that worked for 2 hours and 2 at 10.45.
He didn't sleep last night and v little for 4 days in hospital until they wacked the light morphine at about 4 a.m.
He is 73 fit til this accident golf etc had a stent fitted 2 years ago no further trouble touch wood. He takes high blood pressure tablets and a statin.
Please help he need his sleep to recover also what is the normal recoveryt time for this ope and how long should the pain last we have a review with the specialist in 2 weeks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Zaldair is tramadol combined with tylenol.Trazodone is an antidepressant sleeping medication.Zaldair can be taken upto 8 tablets in 24 hours in divided doses.2 tablets every 6 hours can be taken safely for better pain control.Thigh bone is a major bone and a fracture at his age may take at least 12 to 16 weeks to heal properly.He should avoid bearing weight for next 2-3 weeks at least --that means use crutches or wheelchair.Pain tends to improve significantly after first week.From second week onwards the pain will be about 50% of what he is experiencing now.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your informationcan he have the sleeping tablet in a few hours although he has had the pain killerswhat helps to lie comfortably in the bed it's his left thigh
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes he can take trazodone as it is safe to take with pain killer.He should sleep on his back or on his right side as much as possible.A pillow can be used to support his back.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I forgot to ask also he prescribed valium - when should my husband take that ?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Valium 5 mg twice daily should be ok.Can be taken about 4 hours after pain killer dose.Can be taken with trazodone as well.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is it supposed to do? i'm confused as I thought pain killers relaxed the body.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Valium is a strong muscle relaxant may help with pain control with the pain killer.Pain killer acts through pain receptors in the brain so that pain is not perceived by the brain.Valium also helps with sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I give it with the pain killer or a couple of hours later for example11.30 pm 2 pain killers12.30 pm1 valium2.30 1 sleeping tablet7 am start again as before
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
It is better to given about an hour after painkiller as both can cause sleepiness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank udid the time line for the meds sound right as I will be the nurse and i have no training and don't want to go wrong also barry is not eating like 2 slices of toast and a bol of soup all day
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes that sounds right.Do not worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me can I give the sleeping tab with the valium he is till awake and in pain the 2 pain killers at 10.30 have worn off
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can.You should go by the symptoms --that means his system is tolerating well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that good? does he need stronger pain killers?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Zoldair can be taken 2 tablets every 6 hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okbut they are not working so what should I ask the doc for that will eleminate the pain
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
In that case, stronger pain medication Oxycodone 10 mg every 6 hours can be prescribed by his doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you I will ask for it many thanks and goodnight - for the moment!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
very welcome