Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

When I ejaculate, there is blood in the semen, could this be

When I ejaculate, there is blood in the semen, could this be a side effect of medication?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Blood in the semen is called as hematospermia.In the vast majority of cases this is not anything serious or anything to worry about and is due to injury of tiny blood vessels in the urinary tract or in the prostate leading to blood in the urine. In this particular case the bleeding will stop as the broken blood vessel heals up in due course.However, having said that, as a general rule, any person who presents with blood in the semen must be seen and be tested further to rule out an infection which may require treatment with an antibiotic.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right hand corner when you are done asking.Kindest regards