Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Tuesday April 26th: I have been under the doctor months

Tuesday April 26th:
I have been under the doctor for two months now, because of pains in my right back (radiating from my kidneys to my shoulder blade), right flank, abdomen, slight intermittent nausea, dizziness, fatigue. The pains are almost always dull aches, with very rarely a mild stab.
The first two times I saw the doctor, she tested me for water infections and gave me antibiotics due to water infection: a three day and a 10 day course. No pain on urination, no change in frequency.
I have also been twice to the Walk-In Centre at our local hospital due to the same, the first time being told it was an ear infection (he fobbed me off), and secondly a water infection last Friday. By this stage I had numbness in the back of my left leg and both buttocks. She gave me a 3-day course of antibiotics. No pain on urination, no change in frequency.
Every time I have tablets, the pain lessens, but doesn’t go away completely. It’s a bit like a pulled muscle, but it’s not that.
6 weeks ago I developed pain in my left groin, that later travelled down to my knee. It felt like the muscle was incredibly tight; this prickling odd sensation and some dull pains in my leg. The doctor has referred me to a rheumatologist feeling I need testing for fibromyalgia and MS.
During this time I began having an unpleasant sensation in my abdomen, like a writhing, convulsing feeling that could be anywhere from my left flank all the way across to my right. It comes and goes. It’s not painful as such, but it is quite horrible to experience.
After two whole months, at no point has anyone said anything about sending me for a scan to look at my torso!
This past weekend, (whilst on the latest course of pills) I felt horrendous. Nausea, loose bowels (not quite dihorrea), back right pain (dull ache), right flank pain (dull ache), fatigue. I very nearly went to A&E to be honest; it was only because I felt a little better on Sunday, and I had yet another doctor’s appointment yesterday that I talked myself out of it.
When I attended the appointment (with a new doctor as my old one has now left), still no mention of a scan was made, so I have requested one and the doctor has agreed to send me. She refused to give me any further medication as she believes it is not a water infection. She has agreed to send a sample of my water to the lab and the results should be back on Friday, but it’s only to test to see if it an infection that Penicillin will resolve.
In the meantime, I am left feeling as bad as ever. I have:
right flank pain,
right lower and middle back pain radiating around to the front on and just below my ribs
right back pain radiating up to my lower shouldblade,
pain in my lower back on my spine, just around or below my waist, today.
I have also had some pain in my lower left back today.
I have been dizzy all day, with intermittent nausea.
My urine is dark brown and cloudy-ish.
No pain on urination, I seem to be drinking more today and not passing as much. Yesterday it had a white grainy sediment in it, but that seems to have gone today so it could have been the last of the antibiotic in my system.
I am now besides myself in what to do. I keep going back to the doctor and the walk in clinic but they’re not DOING anything!
I’m in pain, and I’m worried it’s something serious, or it could become serious if it’s not looked into and resolved soon; it’s already been two months!
I can’t continue to sit here feeling lightheaded, nauseous, in pretty much constant pain… I work full time, and I need to get well again. I feel like death warmed up.
What do I do? Do I just go to A&E?
Debbie
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry you are in pain.the NHS in the UK often rations care and avoids more costly CT or MRI scans in the hopes symptoms go away so the government doesn't have to pay for the scansunfortunately, this causes some patients to live longer in pain and discomfort without a diagnosis.some of your back and flank pain could be due to a pulled muscle or a pinched nerve or herniated disk in your lower back pinching on a nerve which can cause numbness and pain into your buttocks and leg.some of your other upper back pain symptoms can be due to a pinched nerve or narrowing of your spinal canal called spinal stenosis.some of your other musculoskeletal pains could possibly be due to fibromyalgia possibly which can be treatd with medications like Lyrica (pregabalin) or Savella (milnacipran).you need to keep going back to your primary care doctor telling them about your flank and back pain and keep asking for CT or MRI scans of your body and spine to look for causesask about fibromyalgia and medications which can helphang in there until you are able to see the rheumatologist.ask the rheumatologist about blood testing to check for autoimmune disorders which can cause body aches and painskeep a log or journal of your symptoms so you can better describe them to your doctors.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
going back to the A&E most likely won't help too much for patients who have long term medical issues.they are really meant for accidents and emergency situations like if you have a broken bone or bleeding or auto accident.your primary care doctor could possibly start you on some fibromyalgia medications like pregabalin and see if that helps your painthat would be good information that the rheumatologist would want to knowlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,
Thank you for the fast response.
I can assure you that this is not a pulled muscle. I've had them before, I know what they feel like.
So I should basically demand a CT scan and/or MRI? I hope that this is one of the scans she has put me forward for, but I bet my bottom dollar it'll be an ultra sound...
It's the dizziness and nausea, the dark urine, the pains. I also feel like I am having a bit of temperature increase. Isn't dark urine bad? Doesn't it mean there's blood in it?
The doctor yesterday said she doesn't think it's a water infection, so what on earth could it be that's making me feel this bad for this long?
I'm normally pretty pragmatic, but it's sending me in hypo mode!
Sorry, I'm a bit panicky...
Debbie
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can demand a spine MRI scan.your doctor may or may not order one for yousevere pain and symptoms of lower leg or buttocks numbness and weakness are more indications that you should have a spine MRI scan.but MRI scans are expensive and they are very rationed in the UK. dark urine can be from you not drinking enough water, or muscle breakdown like from rhabdomyolysis. some autoimmune conditions can cause this when your body is making antibodies which are attacking your own muscles, you can develop a myositis inflammation of muscles which can cause pain and muscle break down and dark urine.blood tests for creatinine kinase and ESR and ANA anti nuclear antibody tests can look for some of these conditionsyour primary care doctor or rheumatologist can order some of these tests for you.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, Dr,
It wasn't A&E I went to, it was the walk in centre. They send you over to the hospital if they think it's required, or give you meds if you can't get into the doctor.
I guess I will go back and ask for some more tests and get the scans. Clearly something is not right.
Sorry about the panic, but I'm not a doctor, and I don't know if this is just an irritantion, or if it's going to put me A&E (or worse) because nothing was done in time.
I felt like I was dying the weekend...and I don't want to be sat around waiting if this is something serious that is just not being recognised.
Debbie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say that the first doctor did a set of blood tests that all came back clear. It was the usual stuff, blood count, diabetes, thyroid etc.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I see.the blood tests I recommended were more advanced blood tests to look for autoimmune disorders and are often ordered by rheumatology doctors.I can understand your panic.hang in there. hopefully you can see the rheumatologist soon and get more tests which will helplet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I'm not dying then, just in a lot of pain and discomfort, lol?Is there anything that you think I SHOULD watch out for, or shall I just wing it?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are not dyingjust lots of pain and discomfort.make sure you drink plenty of fluids and avoid dehydration.avoid alcohol for now.keep a log of your symptoms.if your pain gets worse and severe and 10/10 intensity, go back and see your doctor or to the A&Elet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol, okay Doc,
Thanks. I do feel a lot better now. You've reassured me, unlike the last two doctors I've seen.
Debbie
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomedon't forget to leave positive feedback for medo you see the ratings area?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeh, Doc.
Thanks again.
I'll be in touch if I have any more questions.
Debbie
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the positive feedbackthanks for using JustAnswer.com