Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had an abcess under my 3ed molar on the right side

Hi, I have had an abcess under my 3ed molar on the right side around 4weeks ago, whilst having this treated I got severe migraines, the tooth pain has gone and I have no pain but the migraines have stayed.
I get pain often at night when lying down and it's radiates from my throat, the roof of my mouth and all of the right hand side of my head and disappear after an hour or so.
I am concerned whether or not to go to the hospital as the pain has recently woke me at night and is getting progressively worse.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
this is Dr. Davidyou could be getting migraine type headaches after a dental abscess infectionyou should consult with a neurologist about these headaches.you might benefit from migraine or nerve pain medications like lyrica (pregabalin) or gabapentin (neurontin) nerve pain medicationsor migraine medications like imitrex or topamax which could help your headache symptoms.you can go to the hospital to see a neurologistor ask your primary care doctor to refer you to see onelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the pain likely stop if the tooth is removed?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the pain could stop if the molar was removed.there could still be a small amount of infection left around the tooth.you might need an MRI scan of your face and jaw to check for residual signs of abscess or infection close to nerves. is your dentist recommending having that molar pulled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has told me it needs to come out but I cannot see him for two weeks. I don't need to go to the emergency room then or be overly concerned?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you should go to the ER if the headaches and migraines are too much to bearor if you have fevers over 101F tempyou can use advil or aleve or tylenol to help decrease the pain.take your pain meds with food already in your stomach.I bet when you get the molar out in 2 weeks, it will eventually help the migraine headaches.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com