Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

HAVE HAD BAD HEAD COLD DAYS WITH NO IMPROVEMENT, RUNNING

Customer Question

HAVE HAD BAD HEAD COLD FOR SIX DAYS WITH NO IMPROVEMENT, RUNNING NOSE ,COUGH AND EXTREME TIREDNESS, TOOK PARACETAMOLS FOR THREE DAYS THEN STOPPED AM FIT ,PROPER WEIGHT 64 KILOS 70 YR OLD LIVING ALONE. iS THIS JUST A BAD COLD OR SHOULD I DO SOMETHING ELSE?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.It takes about 10 days to 2 weeks for viral infections to settle down.If you do not have a high grade fever now, and if the symptoms are gradually getting better than you should wait a few more days. However, if your cough is getting worse and you have phlegm or sputum and fever, then you should see a physician in the Urgent Care or your GP for a course of antibiotics and a chest examination plus an x ray to rule out the possibility of a lower respiratory tract infection.I would suggest that you start on steam inhalations with menthol crystals added four times a day and saline gargles thrice a day. Lozenges to keep the throat soothed.Start on a decongestant like Sudafed twice a day and an anti allergic like Cetrizine or Loratidine twice a day.Keep yourself hydrated and get much needed bed rest.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.