DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a Psa score 5.8 61 yrs Is this higher than normal

I have a Psa score 5.8
61 yrs
Is this higher than normal for my age
I have had an MRI scan
What will this show
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Mildly higher than normal.This is usually seen with benign prostate enlargement.In case of prostate cancer PSA level is much more elevated usually above 10.No need to worry.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will the MRI scan assist diagnosis.
What is treatment for benign treatment
Am I likely to be required to have a biopsy
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
MRI scan will help to look for any cancerous or suspicious lesion in the prostate gland.Benign prostate problem is treated with medications.Terazosin is commonly used to improve urine flow.Finasteride can be used to shrink the prostate gland.Biopsy is not required now.Only if PSA level doubles from now, that should warrant biopsy.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saw a consultant, there appears to be a shadow on the MR I scan which is on the prostrate and they want to do a grid type Biopsy to see if it's cancerous. Obviously I asked a lot of questions for the consultant but so it has gone out of my head as it was a bit of a shock. I am unclear if they could still be an enlarged prostrate or if this is ruled out by the results of the MRI scan. He mentioned three possible treatments including removal bracket something and beam radiation. There is a new option out including laser removal but this does not seem to be well tested In the uk. Would this be viable and are there any results from USA which might support its effectiveness
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn fact you can still have prostate cancer.What is your question at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question can a shady area on MRI scan rule out enlarged prostrate
Also the laser Treatment available is not widely used yet in uk due to its recent introduction, is it more used in USA , is these evidence on its effectiveness
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoA shady area might mean a large prostate.But a large prostate is not a cancer prostate.A shady area could be anything. need the report.Proton Bean therapy, not laser, is the new , non invasive therapy, unless it has spread.It leaves normal tissue alone.It is new in the US, but more available than in the UKIt is very effective according to data so far. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.