Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Good morning, I was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago

good morning, I was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago but dont take any medication for it, over the last couple of months i have noticed that the Bloating feeling in my stomach seems to be getting more uncomfortable, when i have eaten something i get a more uncomfortable bloating in my side, this is followed by a bout of wind which then eases the bloating, I have discovered this morning that i have blood in the toilet after i have been to open my bowels, (blood is in the toilet not the stool) I have recently finished working on the tools as a scaffolder and work in the office more now and find it uncomfortable sometimes sitting at my desk, I feel fine when i am walking around or being physically active, i only have a problem when i am sitting behind my desk during the day or sitting on the sofa at home watching tv at night.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.With the symptoms that you are having i.e. bloating that increases of becomes more uncomfortable after eating you are most likely having gastritis (inflammation of the stomach). This is a very common condition and happens due to either increased acidity or due to infection with H. pylori.You can try taking over-the-counter omeprazole 20 mg twice daily to see if this helps with your symptoms. This drug will help reduce the acid in your stomach and to test for H. pylori I would recommend that you should visit your GP and get tested with a Hydrogen breath test which is routinely performed by GPs.The blood that you have experienced is something that is unrelated to your other symptoms.The most common cause of such bleeding is due to hemorrhoids which is a painless condition that usually happens in people who frequently remain constipated.The other common cause of bleeding is anal fissure but this is a painful condition and this too happens in people who are frequently constipated.As a general rule, any person who has bleeding like what you are experiencing must be seen by his GP to make sure that the diagnosis is confirmed by doing an anoscopy (rectoscopy) and that other potentially serious causes like cancer are ruled out.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am definitely not constipated as I go 2-3 times in the morning and there is no sign of hemorroids, my bloating is not in the stomach area (half way up my torso) but lower down (all across my belly area in line with my belly button so to speak) and in the bowel area and on my right hand side.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Even if your bloating is a little lower down taking the H. pylori test and using omeprazole may help because increased acidity can still cause the symptoms that you are having and there is no harm in using omeprazole.Also I would recommend using some probiotic for your gut as unhealthy bacteria in your gut may be the cause of your symptoms.At times, you may not be constipated and may still have hemorrhoids or an anal fissure. Bleeding from down below most commonly happens due to these two causes.Let me know if you have more questions.