Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Ihave black debris in my urine and small dark stones ,im in

ihave black debris in my urine and small dark stones ,im in pain alot and feel very tired and run down all the time . whats wrong with me
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.You are passing kidney stones, black or black/brown stones are calcium oxalate stones and these usually form because of dehydration and calcium and oxalate in the diet play a part but are not the only factors that affect the formation of calcium oxalate stones. Dietary oxalate is found in many vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Calcium from bone may also play a role in kidney stone formation.Pain due to stone formation and passing stone is by default very severe and if you have excruciating pain and are passing stones in the urine I would suggest that you go to the Urgent Care or an ER as soon as possible, they will hydrate you with IV fluids, give you anti spasmodics and alpha blockers to ease the pain. Your stones that pass will be sent to the lab for analysis to identify their composition, other than that they will also send blood tests to determine if you have excessive calcium, oxalate or uric acid levels in your body.Let me know if you have any more queries or concerns about this.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi and thank you for your reply ,i have been peeing what i can only describe as sludge for the last 2 months the doctor that i first saw said they had no idea what was wrong and sent the sample to the lab then called to say she didnt understand the results and would have to discuss it with another doctor , my wee also has an awful smell to it which started at the same time that the stones and sludge did ,i was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis 5 years ago which causes me severe pain and urgent need to wee all the time i also get retention and have been temporarily catheterised several times as a result of this but i have never had the awful smell and debris in my wee until 2 months ago thats why i was really worried something more serious was going on also my wee didnt grow any bacteria so its not infection
It is best to consider the simple things first which make more sense given the symptoms. Bacterial infections and long standing interstitial cystitis can cause the urine to smell bad. I would suggest that you get a second opinion and follow your doctor proactively and ask her if she got that opinion from the doctor she wanted to get it from. Also, an ultrasound kidney, ureter and bladder (KUB) will be extremely beneficial at this point in time, to see if there are actually any stones in the kidney, ureter or the bladder.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.