Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am a 24 year old female. I have been diagnosed with

I am a 24 year old female. I have been diagnosed with 'significant faecal impaction' after a long period of being stuck in the house due to ill health. I had an x-ray which said that the impaction was on both sides of my large colon. I do not know how to move it. I have lost a stone in weight due to having no appetite, I feel sick all the time, I am unable to leave the house due to feeling so unwell. I also have either overflow diarrhoea or pencil thin, really pale coloured stools.
I have taken 8 sachets of movicol on two seperate occasions, as well as moviprep and I know the impaction is still there because I feel the same and I am still having pencil thin stools.
Do you have any suggestions regarding how I can treat this impaction, so that I can have a quality of life again?
Helen.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
Hi Helen, it is generally safer to try to evacuate an impaction from below. If you have no contraindications, an enema might be safer and more effective. Ask your doctor about using an osmotic enema. This will help to "pull" the stool out instead of putting pressure behind it and pushing it out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Dr Bob,I have been told that the impaction is quite far into my colon, not in the sigmoid part and that an enema might not be effective for where it is. Do you think an osmotic enama would work with it being so far into my colon?I am also due to have a sigmoidoscopy May.Thanks,Helen.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
Yes, because it stimulates the colonic reflex either way and this gets peristalsis going. The longer one holds the fluid in, and the more one is able to turn left and right to move it along, the better. Just make sure you do not have any risk factors such as previous bowel surgery or advanced renal disease. Your doctor can advise you in this regard. Most people tolerate enemas quite well.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
The sigmoidoscopy is a good idea, but you need to keep the stool moving in the meantime. If you can't get it out from above or below, you may need to visit the ER. In severe cases, a soap suds enema may be used, or even a mechanical disimpaction.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would a mechanical disimpaction work with it being so far into my colon? I went to A&E on Sunday and the doctor did a rectal examination, and said that that part was clear. The impaction is further in.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
It is likely moving very slowly downstream. You would need another x-ray to see where it is currently. Manual disimpaction does require that the impaction be in the distal sigmoid colon.
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you,Helen.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.