DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Had lab results done after having three periods in one

Customer Question

Hi. Had lab results done after having three periods in one month and have missed next two periods. FSH WAS 8.3, LH WAS 4.7 AND 17 BETA OESTRADIOL was under 44 pmol/l. Does this mean i have started to go into the menopause?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you with your concerns today.It does seem that you have started to go into menopause with the irregular menstruation and the low estradiol levels.This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think it would be worth me considering HRT as I am only 44 yeears old.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying.There are certain indications for starting HRT.These include troublesome perimenopausal symptoms like hot flushes and excessive sweating, for getting relief from urogenital symptoms like vaginal soreness and dryness, urinary frequency and urgency and pain during intercourse etc... and to prevent osteoporosis.Menopause at 44 years of age would not be considered early menopause and would not be an indication for starting HRT by itself.HRT can be considered if you are getting the symptoms and signs mentioned above by me.HRT may also be considered if you have low bone density and if you are susceptible to get osteoporosis.Before starting HRT you need to be checked for any relative or absolute contra indication to HRT.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour FSH is normal.There is no indication you are in menopause.There is no indication for HRT at all here.The estrogen level alone will fluctuate, and vary depending on the time of your cycle.Yes this can be pre menopause, but it could be several years before you do anything.Irregular periods can have other causes: thyroid, liver , kidney, stress, etc.So this is time to see your doctor.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me by request any time for correct and safe answers.Please click a positive top right of this post.