DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 33 year old man looking needed piece of

I am a 33 year old man looking for much needed piece of mind, please can you help.I am suffering with severe anxiety following the passing of my mother last year from Lung Cancer, she was a smoker of 26 years.Regretfully, I previously smoked cannabis for 9 years intermittently but have now quit for 1.5 years and absolutely will not be doing this again, I am now teetotal due to my past. I used to smoke on average 8-10 joints per week, but did have long periods of abstinence.I have read a historical articles in the newspaper regarding potential 'contaminated' cannabis in circulation throughout the UK, aptly given the street name 'grit weed'. The contamination specifically involved small glass particles and silicone spray. There are some really scary stories that this could result in users developing Silicosis in the lungs .However, experts from the Imperial College London state that these particles are too large to be ingested.Also, when this substance was smoked, there were noted symptoms of tight chest, coughing and mouth sores, all of which I have not had. I am actually in good health and have never had any persistent coughs to speak of.Do you suggest that I need to arrange an X-Ray or CT scan? Or given my limited exposure, and the length of time and level of exposure required to acquire silicosis, there is no need. I certainly hope the latter is the case!My anxiety is very high at the moment and I'm really hoping you can help as I don't know where to turn.Thank you so much
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI suggest you get treatment for your anxiety.I see no evidence from your story to do anything else.Classically, you are reading things that don't apply to you and now applying them to yourselfdo to anxiety, not reality.If an x ray will give you peace of mind, fine, but is probably will not, as the anxiety disorder will still be in charge. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for this doctor, thank you for the reassurance. So in essence, the chances are minimal of inhaling a substantial amount, if in fact there was any present, is minimal.I am currently undertaking counselling for this problem I have, it's very debilitating at the moment.
Is there anything you coils suggest to help with this anxiety?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I suggest therapy, not counseling.Cognitive behavioral therapy, with a PhD clinical psychologist.In some cases medication is needed. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.