Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I suffer from OCD and Anxiety. 4 years ago I was diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi, I suffer from OCD and Anxiety. 4 years ago I was diagnosed with genital wart HPV. I was told by 2 separate nurses that it is nothing to worry about and is completely harmless and after 2 years it is either gone out of my system or dormant and non-contagious. I also understand that genital warts is a sign of low-risk hpv which is NOT connected with cancer in any way.
However, I caught glimpse online that there might be a connection and because I suffer from OCD, this absolute tiny chance that there might be a connection is driving my anxiety through the roof and causing me massive relationship problems because I am scared to have sex and worried about potentially passing something on that may cause cancer.
Considering my anxiety, can I please have some clarification that will help ease my mind - to emphasise again that my strain of HPV created warts etc.
Thank you so much for your time - you have no idea how grateful I am.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am a cancer doctorI know about HPV virus very well.if the gental wart is gone, then the HPV is out of your system90% of adults can clear HPV and genital warts out of their system in 1-2 years.if you don't have genital warts on your body, you can't spread HPV.you can also have HPV tested for when you have pap smears of your cervix.if your pap smear is normal, there is no reason to test for HPV virus on your cervix.you are right that HPV that causes genital warts doesn't put you at risk for cancer.you don't have to stress about cancer.if your OCD is bad, you might benefit from medication treatment for your anxiety to help decrease your anxiety symptomsyou should also look into seeing a psychotherapist to talk to about these worries.cognitive behavioral therapy can help your anxiety symptoms as welllet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
would you like to call me now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for writing back. It would be great to chat - can this be done over Skype? Where are you based?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it can be done over skypeor over the phone.I would rather do it over the phone .but I can do skype as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, where are you based as I am simply considering network charges? Is this is a UK service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent my mobile number, will that work?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the USA, but I have web phone call apps I can use.I don't see your number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*********** here you go
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no problems at all.glad to talk to you.thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. David I appreciated your help.I'm also worried because I have almost like a little skin scarring in an area where I had HPV - it was 4 years ago surely it cannot be a HPV wart?
I was also diagnosed about 3 months ago with Molloscum Contagium or however you spell it - again I want to clarify that this is completely harmless.I want to be in a mental scenario where I am fully aware that even if I did have HPV or MC, it is completely harmless, only treated for cosmetic purposes and cannot cause cancer. That way I would not worry about tiny spots, whether they are anything because it would not matter. I know I'm thinking with my OCD and that's bad but it would allow me to put this aside and concentrate on the bigger picture with my Psychiatrist.Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, molloscum is harmless and will not cause cancer.scaring from HPV will not cause cancer.you don't have to worry about these causing cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my final thought process to conclude should be HPV genital warts does not cause cancer and even if I do / did have it, there is no way I can give someone something that develops into cancer.Please confirm for me Dr.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
once the warts are away, the HPV is out of your systemyou can't give the warts or cancer to someone else if you don't have warts.