Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had UNPROTECTED ORAL SEX with a sex worker and now I am concerned

I had UNPROTECTED ORAL SEX with a sex worker and now I am concerned and anxious about catching HIV virus. What are the chances of me having contracted hiv from unprotected oral sex? And does a tongue piercing increase risk?
Also, It happened 3 weeks ago now and I want an answer to if I am positive or negative but is there a point in being tested now? As I have read that the infection might not come through for months?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question SajThe risk is extremely low with thisNot zero but very very lowYou should get tested when you can but this is most likely finelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour precise risk is less than 1/10th of 1 %.That varies depending on if the worker was infected, and if so, how sick she would be at the time.At 3 weeks you can be test with a PCR test, and is should be valid.You can not just get tested whenever and have it valid if you use the wrong test.Other tests are not valid: antibody tests take up to 6 months.You need an RNA or DNA test at this point.Please read this CDC write uphttp://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/oralsex.htmlI am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me for accurate answers daily. Safe, comprehensive and fast. Dr. Thomas only.Piercing increases the risk in theory if you have an open wound.
Tongue piercing will not increase risk
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hi, as I said, in theory, an open wound in the mouth will increase the risk.The CDC notes the increased risk from blood in the mouth. Blood to blood increases risk. So, if she were bleeding at all, and you had an open wound [infected piercing, recent piercing, damaged, piercing], this could do it. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
A tongue piercing isn't an open wound.I'm sure it was done a while ago.There is no increased risk
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States