Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm hoping you may be able to help. I hope my description

Hello, I'm hoping you may be able to help. I hope my description isn't difficult to understand as I'm not great at explaining medical related things. Approximately two months ago I noticed that my bowel movements were quite oily looking and decided to keep an eye on things , over the next few weeks I noticed that the colour was becoming paler. Around the same time I'd been having some RUQ crampy pains but nothing severe. After a few weeks my stool had become more frequent and a yellowish diahorrea, although some small formed parts were also present. I consulted my GP and she told me stool color was dependent on the food I consume and not to worry, when I mentioned the diahorrea she put this down to stress and the food moving too quickly through my system as I have had severe health anxiety for the past 3 years (I have over this 3 years believed that I had 14 different kinds of cancer, none of which proved correct) She told me that she won't refer me for any imaging tests as I had a transabdominal ultrasound four months prior to these symptoms. However she did do routine bloods, amylase, & tested for infection and inflammation-all of which came back completely normal. She also repeated liver function tests as I had previously been diagnosed with NAFLD, when she repeated the liver function tests my liver enzyme levels had actually improved? She told me all of these tests were very reassuring and the cause of my symptoms were likely anxiety and IBS. More recently I have had some mild back pain on right side and now my diahorrea has completely stopped and returned to formed stools but the colour is still a light tan shade and not what I would call a normal brown, also throughout these symptoms I have noticed some, not a huge amount, but definitely some clear colour oil floating on the water surface after bowel movements. It was suggested that it could be a gallbladder issue but my GP said the ultrasound would have picked them up & even if it had missed them inflammation would have shown in my bloods. Also, a parasitic infection was mentioned but then I had blood tests for infection too, which came back clear. I'm so confused and have been so worried about pancreatic cancer, even though I'm not a smoker or a drinker. Can you suggest anything else it could be? Pancreatic cancer keeps coming up and I'm a single mother of two young children. I'm terrified! How likely is it at 33years old? Please offer me your professional opinion. Many thanks, Cara.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am a cancer doctoryour symptoms don't sound like pancreatic cancer.but you could be having bowel sensitivity to foods you are eatingyou could be sensitive to gluten or lactose in milk or some oils you are eatingeating out at restaurants or take out food or certain oils used for frying foods can often upset the stomach and cause diarrhea and yellow stoolsyou should keep a food diary of what you eat and see what foods cause worse bowel symptomsyou might have to avoid gluten wheat protein in bread, pasta, pizza crust for 2-4 weeks to see if you get betteryou can also avoid dairy and milk and see if your symptoms get betteryou might benefit from taking a probiotic dailybut it doesn't sound like pancreatic cancerlet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Do you feel it necessary to have an further imaging tests or should I try the diet advice first? I did experience lack of appetite and 7 lbs weight loss within the few weeks of diahorrea, within this time I hardly ate a thing but still had the yellow oily stools, would they not have been normal in that time if it had initially been caused by diet? my appetite has since returned and I've regained the weight I lost but I'm just panicked because I know how deadly PC can be if not caught early. Does PC occur in people my age often? Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, you don't need further imaging now.you need to do the diet thing, keep a food log and seebad anxiety can cause loss of appetite and weight loss.no PC does not occur in patients your age, it is super super super super rare.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com