Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I gave birth to a baby boy 11 days ago. It was my second

Hi. I gave birth to a baby boy 11 days ago. It was my second baby. The labour was very quick. I had my first strech and sweep in the morning and was 1cm even though I had experienced pains the previous evening. I was told these pains could come and go. I went out for lunch and when I returned was feeling awful with pains but assumed I was not in active labour as was only 1cm a few hours previously. I felt like I needed a bowel movement so tried to push. Nothing came out. Very quickly the pain became severe and I went to hospital where I was fully dilated and told to push the baby out. This all happened within an hour. Would I have harmed the baby by trying to have a bowel movement an hour beforehand and then not pushing. The midwifes could see the head when I got to hospital and they said I had already been pushing but I had not been pushing the baby. Would I have harmed the baby by doing this. I am now paranoid. Also I have a pain in my back passage which feels like I need a bowel movement a lot since having the baby. Is this normal. It does not feel normal to me. At 20 weeks pregnant I accidentally sat on a baby walker which went right up my backside and I can still feel this 22 weeks on. Would this have any impact on the pain I can feel? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.
Hi and welcome.As pushing the baby is natural way by which baby is delivered out of birth canal it is harmless process for baby. You do not need to be worried about this. Moreover when you gave birth all your pelvic muscles stretch alot and become sore that is why you had pain after and feeling like bowel movement. Back ache is very common during pregnancy and during postpartum period as all your ligaments are lax and go under extreme stretching. However i would suggest you to followup with your doctor though nothing seems to be serious. Take good healthy diet and calcium supplements and take high fiber diet so that you have soft stool. You can apply ibuprofen gel over your back to relieve muscular spasm and pain.Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. So the fact that I pushed an hour before delivery and then stopped for about an hour is not a problem? As they said I had started pushing when I got to hospital. The pain feels like in my back passage as opposed to my back. Is this normal? Thanks
Yes there is no effect of pushing on the baby and pain you feel is normal after vaginal birth and would ease out in a week time. Nothing much to worry. You can take tylenol for pain.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.