Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My tonsils seem really strange. They hurt, seem strange in

My tonsils seem really strange. They hurt, seem strange in colour and one of them ( left one ) almost looks like it has a cut down the side with a bit sticking out.
What is this? Could it be cancer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see images attached. I've had a sore throat for about 2 weeks now but I also have blocked sinuses and thick yellow mucus
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Tonsil cancer is a rarity at your age. You can not speculate if you have cancer just because something does not appear normal to you.This is acute tonsilitis (inflammation of the tonsils) which is a much more common disease and more likely at your age and with your symptoms. The inflammation seen in the picture is very severe and needs to be addressed very soon.I would suggest that you go to the Urgent Care or the ER so that you can obtain a prescription for antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication. The sooner these are treated the earlier your symptoms will resolve.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do remember to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Uzair,I have a Amoxycillin ( 500mg ) would that help?Best,Kamran.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, amoxicillin is a good choice of antibiotic for tonsillitis. An anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day with four times a day saline gargles will also be beneficial.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if there are any concerns or queries.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.