Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My sister in law had two children both by C-sections. Now she

My sister in law had two children both by C-sections. Now she is 6 weeks pregnant and would like to have an abortion. She lives in Sudan, the doctor prescribed methotrexate tablet (2.5 mg) to be taken three times a day for 10 days. My question is it safe to take methotrexate at this regimen? and is it effective in inducing abortion at the dose that prescribed by the doctor?. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does methotrexate affect her fertility
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I see that you would like to talk over the phone.Please accept the premium offer so that I can call you.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to continue with Q and A please. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will respond in detail in a moment.I appreciate your patience.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The safest and best treatment for abortion is not methotrexate and I would not recommend using that.The best and safest treatment is with a combination of misoprostol (cytotec) and mifepristone.If mifepristone is not available then misoprostol alone is used.Can you please ask her to confirm in the local pharmacy whether any of these tablets is available or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will ask her. Misoprostol induces uterus contraction. Because she had two C.sections, is there a risk of uterus explosion upon the use of misoprostol?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Since the pregnancy is only a few weeks it will not be any risk in her case.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I am giving you a link with details on how to use misoprostol:https://iwhc.org/resource/abortion-self-administered-misoprostol-guide-women/This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. the foetus is attached to the uterus at site of the previous C.section, does this cause risk of uterus explosion upon using misoprostol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In case both of these drugs (misoprostol and mifepristone) are not available. Can she use methotrexate at this dose 2.5 mg three times a day for 10 days. is it safe at this dose?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Misoprostol is available all over the world.I would still recommend misoprostol at the very least.Misoprostol is either available alone or in combination with diclofenac sodium (which is a pain medication). So in case misoprostol is not available alone the combination can be used.